Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Arlen on October 24, 2016, 11:51:10 pm
-
Napping artist nabbed in a small shop in Cannon Beach, Oregon.
Thoughts?
(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/164366446/original.jpg)
-
Nice shot, Arlen.
I never felt that bored with my own work, though, but I did keep the music playing even at the worst of times. Maybe photography has different needs... or solutions. Or, he could just be consulting inspiration, instead. We shall never know.
;-)
Rob
-
What's in that glass? ;D
-
Here's a black and white version, that I'm not sure whether I like better or not. But at least the stuff in the glass looks a bit less questionable. :)
(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/164369057/original.jpg)
-
In this case, I think colour wins.The reason I think this is that the information level is very high, and colour separates the bits out, whereas with B/W it just becomes too much for the eye. Had you been using a wide aperture instead, then perhaps that shallow DOF would have changed things quite a lot, but as it is, I think colour wins for its particular strengths. As I say, second-guesses are just that.
Rob
-
Thanks, Rob. Observing that the "colour separates the bits out" was exactly why I chose to post the color version. It is a busy scene, but hey, that's the conditions that he works (or naps) under. Still, I usually favor B/W in scenes like this, so I thought I would go ahead and post that version to see what others think.
-
Hard to say which I like best ... but leaning towards the colour version as well. Either way, lovely environmental portrait. Nicely done.
-
I really like the picture, Arlen. And I think it has to be in color for its full effect. I'm wondering what all the lights are about. Looks like a photographer's studio rather than a painter's.
-
I'm with Rob and Russ on this. Color does it best for me.
A tantalizing shot.
-
If you yelled fire, I don't think he could find his way out of his surround...
Peter
-
If you yelled fire, I don't think he could find his way out of his surround...
Peter
You mean, like a prisoner within his own frame? That's only allowed for people painting floors. I suspect the contents of that mystery glass had something to do with it...
;-)
Rob
-
Allow me to dissent. Not only b&w, but Eugene Smith's Minamata b&w treatment (Farmer's reducer). The idea would be to obliterate the amount of detail into deep shadows (yet still recognizable), while emphasizing the artist. Unless, of course, the intent is to advertise that prominent red can in the foreground.
-
Allow me to dissent. Not only b&w, but Eugene Smith's Minamata b&w treatment (Farmer's reducer). The idea would be to obliterate the amount of detail into deep shadows (yet still recognizable), while emphasizing the artist. Unless, of course, the intent is to advertise that prominent red can in the foreground.
Hi Slobodan,
Can you show us how you use Farmer's Reducer on digital prints? Or is it just on the digital negatives? ;)
-
I love this photo. I like both the color and the B&W versions. This is one of the nicest environmental portraits I've seen in awhile.
-
Thanks to each of you for your generous and helpful comments.
Slobodan, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would fit the situation here, as my intention was to show this fellow in his working environment, distracting from the main subject though it may be. But I'm intrigued by your suggestion, and will give it a try to see how it turns out.
Now I'm off to find a package of Farmer's reducer. ;)
-
I'm partial to B&W but here I agree that the color one works best. I think that the glass probably contains paint thinner. Hope that is not why he is....asleep. As far as napping while working....well, maybe its the other way around. I'm a huge proponent of the speed nap.