Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 20, 2016, 08:49:56 am

Title: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: KMRennie on October 20, 2016, 08:49:56 am
One of the many small waterfalls in the Birks of Aberfeldy.
Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: Sean H on October 20, 2016, 09:02:24 am
A wonderful image Ken.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: KMRennie on October 20, 2016, 09:37:22 am
Another shot from Aberfeldy.
Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: francois on October 20, 2016, 09:51:21 am
Both are superb but, for now, I prefer the second one.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: brandtb on October 20, 2016, 10:59:28 am
Nice that second one. I think it is really nice how you've threaded the needle between getting some "softness and some hardness" to the flowing water. I can't say if this was your plan - but the effect is great and not seen enough unfortunately.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 20, 2016, 12:05:54 pm
#2: great light. Both are thoughtfully balanced.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 20, 2016, 12:08:21 pm
Both are superb but, for now, I prefer the second one.
+1.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: KMRennie on October 20, 2016, 12:16:32 pm
Thanks all for the pleasant comments. Brandt I have spent the last year trying to "thread that needle" juggling shutter speed with water flow rate and volume. It would be nice if it was a simple shutter speed that worked. This one is 0.8 second although I think that the fastest little runs could do with a slightly shorter speed. The water fall was 1.3s although the water is flowing faster the volume is tiny so a longer speed still retains texture. I do wish that the rear LCD screen was good enough to show this, at times I get home ( this time a 160 mile drive) and find that I have captured "milk" and not water. However lots of people do not like water looking like this and prefer the 1/10 sec slightly moving look, everyone to their own preferences.
Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: MattBurt on October 20, 2016, 02:25:00 pm
Both very nice. Wonderful light in #2! I know this struggle with water speed vs shutter very well!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: stamper on October 21, 2016, 03:53:51 am
Both are stunning.
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 21, 2016, 04:05:44 am
I also prefer #2, it feels more "enveloping", if that is the right word?
Title: Re: Autumn in Perthshire
Post by: Bob_B on October 21, 2016, 07:52:31 am
The second one is my favorite too, but both are great photos.