Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: narikin on October 18, 2016, 07:21:23 pm
-
Title says it all - is there a way to lock up everything and just use the LS shutter in my lens, with an optical finder in the hotshoe, when shooting by hand (not tripod) rather than using the FP shutter and all that mirror & shutter clunking about?
Just trying to minimize noise when working this beast of a camera...
thanks
(I appreciate there will be no AF with this setup)
-
The only way I know how is to have the XF in LS priority and be in Live view. When setup this way only the LS shutter will fire.
Which Phase Back are you using?
Paul C
-
The only way I know how is to have the XF in LS priority and be in Live view. When setup this way only the LS shutter will fire.
Which Phase Back are you using?
Paul C
thanks. maybe I can live with LiveView. IQ3-100 is pretty good with that.
-
What about the new electronic shutter feature? Would that work for the usage you have in mind? Or do the mirror and FP shutter still operate on every exposure?
I seem to recall in some of the early postings about the electronic shutter function that several of them noted that it's so silent that it's disconcerting. From that I take it that the mirror and FP shutter *aren't* operating when in electronic shutter mode.
(I haven't had reason to play around with electronic shutter on my XF-100 yet).
-
Yes. Go ES. That is why I wondered which back you had.
With a focal shutter and ES the focal will fire the first time and after that it's all silent.
Very good design by Phase One and I am still surprised as big an improvement the ES offers that it was not mentioned at Photokina.
With your view finder in the hotshoe the ES would work well as long as you kept the shutter speed in the 1/125 or higher range.
Paul C
-
No - for fast moving people on street - the ES wont work. Rolling shutter etc.
thanks for suggestion though.
-
I think you'd be fine - the XF does a proper mirror lock up I believe. As in stay up until you tell it to drop (as in the Hasselblad H series). If memory serves, to activate, on the top touch screen tap the mirror icon, then shoot away with a LS lens.
You may want to set one button to the hyperfocal for the lens - what apeture & shutter speed are you looking to use? The thinner the DoF, the more it'll tattle.
If you want really quiet, one thing you may want to consider is doing an A body with the lens of choice - less parts, live view and if you're shooting low, using the iOS app.
-Joe