Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: rueyloon on October 13, 2016, 08:22:29 am

Title: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: rueyloon on October 13, 2016, 08:22:29 am
Hello

hi, I'm trying out my P40+ on a technical camera but I keep getting half captures.
What am I doing wrong?

This only occurs on a technical camera. I've tried different shutter and they are all the same.
I do have the PC sync to multicontroller port connector.

Anything I'm missing?
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: Tsbphoto on October 13, 2016, 11:08:58 am
This is a new one for me. Usually if i had my p45+ set to the wrong shutter i would get magenta streaks emanating from every bright light source.  Ive also seen some bizarre stuff when trying to capture again while the sensor is reading out but this half capture is a new one.

Does your sync cable have a wake up button or are you just firing the shutter twice?

What shutter is selected on the back. Im pretty sure long delay is needed
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: Wayne Fox on October 13, 2016, 12:28:37 pm
are you using a wakeup button or zero latency?  Looks like something in the timing is off between waking up and capturing.
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: rueyloon on October 13, 2016, 11:08:43 pm
I'm using the PC to multiport sync cable - unless there are different versions of the cable?

I have tried both in 2 shot and also zero latency mode. Once in a while I'll get a proper shot, so it is hard to identify what is wrong.
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: Ray R on October 14, 2016, 02:58:43 pm
Have you tried with a different lens?

I don't get the same result as you are getting, but I am getting magenta streaks on one of my shutters on 'B'. It was CLA'd at the beginning of the year but was not releasing immediately.
It has been adjusted and doesn't appear to stick now, but it still doesn't record an image without any magenta. It's okay on other shutter speeds.

I'm not sure if this might give you any further ideas.

Ray
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: Wayne Fox on October 14, 2016, 03:33:12 pm

I do have the PC sync to multicontroller port connector.


Have another one of those to try?  I have seen an issue where the sync connector on a lens had a problem and saw similar weirdness.  I assume if the cable has an issue, trying different lenses/shutters wouldn’t help.
Title: Re: Problems using P40+ with technical camera - getting half captures
Post by: JoeKitchen on October 14, 2016, 08:03:09 pm
Looks like some how your back is ending the exposure before the exposure actually ends, causing light to hit the sensor during the black readout. 

Something is wrong with your shutter and how it is syncing to the back.  A shutter of mine has been acting up like this recently, however only every few dozen exposures. This is why I carry around spare shutters and a spanner tool.