Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on October 09, 2016, 02:55:31 pm

Title: The Regulars
Post by: RSL on October 09, 2016, 02:55:31 pm
They're here most of the day. But now hurricane Matthew has removed a mile of highway A1A in front of the restaurant and bar. They'll have to come in through the back door.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 09, 2016, 04:47:12 pm
The guy on the right (and maybe the others, too) is thinking, "How many can I down before the roof comes off?"

They do look pretty relaxed under the circumstances.

The one good thing that has come from Matthew is that a tiny corner of the rain has made it up to Boston, where it has been raining all day for the first time in many months. This may even knock an inch off our drought deficit of about ten inches for the year so far.

Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: Rob C on October 09, 2016, 05:14:44 pm
Waitress caught you, Russ!

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: seamus finn on October 09, 2016, 05:46:42 pm
Looks like an Irish pub to me - I feel I know those jokers.

Is it a bit too bright - maybe tone down the shirts etc. There's a lot could be done with the tonal range in there to make it a really moody shot.

I'm only asking!

One consolation: over here, we don't have to risk life and limb for a pint and you can be sure that the front door you came in is the same door you go out, even if you have to be carried.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: RSL on October 10, 2016, 10:04:01 am
You're right, of course, Seamus. I didn't see it that way, but here's a re-worked version that's more moody. I may have overdone it.

Everything was okay the day we stopped for lunch on our way to St. Augustine, so these guys were able to come in through the front door. Two days later if they'd tried to do that they'd probably have to have waded in. We've been stopping at this joint for lunch for many years. Recently it sold, and we found on this trip that the quality of the food has dropped. Used to be a great place to get fish. I think the new owners are going to have a big problem until the highway is back in place. But probably these guys will come in through the back door and sit as usual.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: Rob C on October 10, 2016, 10:09:21 am
You're right, of course, Seamus. I didn't see it that way, but here's a re-worked version that's more moody. I may have overdone it.

Everything was okay the day we stopped for lunch on our way to St. Augustine, so these guys were able to come in through the front door. Two days later if they'd tried to do that they'd probably have to have waded in. We've been stopping at this joint for lunch for many years. Recently it sold, and we found on this trip that the quality of the food has dropped. Used to be a great place to get fish. I think the new owners are going to have a big problem until the highway is back in place. But probably these guys will come in through the back door and sit as usual.

That has an international echo!

We are the problem, Russ: we remember too much - in pretty much everything - that the new people do not.

Rob
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: Rory on October 10, 2016, 10:16:50 am
I really like both versions Russ.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: PeterAit on October 10, 2016, 10:39:39 am
They're here most of the day. But now hurricane Matthew has removed a mile of highway A1A in front of the restaurant and bar. They'll have to come in through the back door.

Very nice, and beautifully processed. The barkeep in the background makes the photo. And I see there's a stool waiting for you!
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: RSL on October 10, 2016, 12:33:14 pm
Thanks all. And Peter, it's been a long time since I've sat on a bar stool. Didn't even do that in Southeast Asia. I always sat in a chair at a table.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 10, 2016, 12:55:31 pm
I really like the mood in the new version.
Well done.

And I hope the new owners (and the highway) start to shape up soon.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: seamus finn on October 11, 2016, 04:44:41 pm
I really like the mood in the new version.
Well done.

And I hope the new owners (and the highway) start to shape up soon.

Me too
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: dpr on October 13, 2016, 04:15:17 pm
Just curious as to what camera and exposure you used in this photo. Also are you also a regular here so that taking the picture didn't bother anyone?
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: RSL on October 13, 2016, 04:51:41 pm
Hi dpr. Do you have a name? Welcome to LuLa. If you're into photography, stick around, you'll find this place delightful.

Not that it matters (something neither Pop Photo or Shutterbug has figured out yet), I used an Olympus Pen-F with a 25mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux on it. Exposure was f/4.0, 1/15 second, ISO 80, and exposure comp -0.3 (which is where I leave it most of the time).

Unless you'd consider a stop here two or three times a year to qualify me as a regular, no, I'm not a regular. The only person who saw me shoot the picture was the waitress, and I think she was flattered. If you work at street long enough you'll learn, like The Shadow, who probably was before your time, to "cloud men's minds" when you shoot. You do that by being so ordinary and unthreatening that nobody notices or cares when you lift the camera. If you have tattoos and nose-rings you're out of luck and might as well try landscape.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: seamus finn on October 13, 2016, 04:54:47 pm
Welcome , kid -  Show us something.
Title: Re: The Regulars
Post by: dpr on October 13, 2016, 05:41:47 pm
Russ,
Thanks for the reply. My name is Dave.
I was curious because I really liked your photo of The Regulars and was interested in the details of its creation. So thanks for filling me in. And I'm more of a Hopalong Cassidy and Cisco Kid guy.
Dave