Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KBStudio on October 03, 2016, 06:31:50 pm

Title: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: KBStudio on October 03, 2016, 06:31:50 pm
First attempt at capturing the Milky Way.  This shot was taken on the Oregon Coast North of Lincoln City.  I painted the outcrops and cliffs with an LED flashlight.  The light pollution from Lincoln City shows in the lower left above the rocky point.

(http://)
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 04, 2016, 04:06:35 am
I like the result. The light painting is subtle and well done. What type of LED light you used?
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: KBStudio on October 04, 2016, 08:32:43 am
Thanks Paulo.  The LED flashlight is an American Tactical Supply Company.  It has three power settings and focuses wide angle to a tight square.  I found that all but the lowest output was too much.  The light in this image is a quick splash at the lowest setting.  Added gels to warm up the light as the LED is really blue.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Arlen on October 04, 2016, 12:24:41 pm
Excellent result, Kim, especially for a first attempt. The Milky Way seems to be erupting from the rock, as if it were a volcano. And I think the light pollution actually adds to the scene in this case.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: BradSmith on October 04, 2016, 03:05:59 pm
Really nice.  Do you mind sharing what your camera, lens and exposure/ISO settings were?
Brad
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: KBStudio on October 04, 2016, 03:16:43 pm
Thanks Arlen and Brad.  I too thought the light pollution was a lucky addition to the color and feel.
Brad, I used a Sony A7RII, Canon 24-70 f2.8L II at 24mm, with a Metbones III adapter. I shot it at ISO 3200, f3.2, for 20 seconds.  The light pollution overwhelmed the naked I so I had to guess at the location of the Milky Way.  I knew it was going to be in the Southwestern sky but wasn't sure where. My first shot was right on.  Luck was with me.  Arlen, it does give the impression of any explosion or something coming out of the point.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: NancyP on October 04, 2016, 05:06:58 pm
I like that you have kept star temperature (colors) noticeable. Excellent light painting, really nice composition.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 04, 2016, 08:23:29 pm
Nice. I'm glad you were able to suppress the light pollution.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Sean H on October 05, 2016, 09:17:45 pm
+1
I like that you have kept star temperature (colors) noticeable. Excellent light painting, really nice composition.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 06, 2016, 07:53:09 am
Thanks Paulo.  The LED flashlight is an American Tactical Supply Company.  It has three power settings and focuses wide angle to a tight square.  I found that all but the lowest output was too much.  The light in this image is a quick splash at the lowest setting.  Added gels to warm up the light as the LED is really blue.

Great info, thanks.
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: KBStudio on October 06, 2016, 12:08:24 pm
Thanks all.  I appreciate the feedback!
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 07, 2016, 10:04:37 pm
Good one!
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: Telecaster on October 08, 2016, 04:32:29 pm
I've used the SkyView app (on my phone) to locate the Milky Way in light-polluted areas. It can identify all sorts of other stuff in the sky too, like constellations.

Fine pic, BTW!

-Dave-
Title: Re: Oregon Coast Milky Way
Post by: KBStudio on October 08, 2016, 09:19:59 pm
Dave, I found out about SkyView the next day. One of other Camp Blue Sky attendees shared it with me when I mentioned the difficulty of seeing the Milky Way. It is a great app!  Thanks