Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: marc aurel on September 23, 2016, 10:35:03 am
-
There are some discussions like "is 44x33mm really medium format?". Some started calling it "miniMF".
Somewhere else I read the term 433-format. For 50x44mm you could use 544-format. It would make talking about it a bit easier.
Of course there are things that don't really fit in. Like Leicas 45x30mm sensor. But generally I like this approach.
What do you think?
-
I'd call it the APS-H of 645 ;)
-
Well, there have always been various flavors/sizes of medium format sensors. Not sure there's much of a problem referencing them.
As for those who would claim the smaller MF sensors "aren't really medium format"... I have to smile. A long-in-the-tooth film shooter might shake his head and tell you there's never really been any kind of real medium format digital. They're all cropped, after all.
-
I'd like to think that anyone who cares enough about photographic equipment to use a digital camera in a format "35mm" or bigger, and to debate focal length equivalents and DR and resolution and high ISO speed performance and DXO scores, could easily handle actual sensor dimensions in mm – so-called digital medium format now has two main formats: 44x33 and 54x40.
But apparently, the mob tendency is to shoe-horn new formats into old names, including using an obscure, failed and obsolete film format (APS-C) to inaccurately describe the dominat DSLR formats, while bizarrely, the best-known still photography format name, "35mm" has been abandoned!
-
Hi,
Fuji calls it the G-format?
With digital, we can have any format that the sensor makers decide to make. With film it was different, there were a few widths of film.
But, we still live by old conventions, based on conceptions of the old millineum.
Best regards
Erik
There are some discussions like "is 44x33mm really medium format?". Some started calling it "miniMF".
Somewhere else I read the term 433-format. For 50x44mm you could use 544-format. It would make talking about it a bit easier.
Of course there are things that don't really fit in. Like Leicas 45x30mm sensor. But generally I like this approach.
What do you think?
-
Mega-35
-
The usual convention vas to call the various formats: x1.0, x1.1 and x1.3. 44x33mm is "x1.3".
-
There are some discussions [on Petapixel] like "is 44x33mm really medium format?".