Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 21, 2016, 09:17:18 am

Title: The Web Master
Post by: Bob_B on September 21, 2016, 09:17:18 am
In the last couple of weeks, we (in the Baltimore area) have seen a dramatic increase in the number of Orb-weaver spiders (Neoscona crucifera). Several have taken up residence in and around my backyard, building large webs between limbs and structures. This one decided to build a web near the backdoor, and was kind enough to stay still for a portrait in silhouette.

Bob
Title: Re: The Web Master
Post by: biker on September 21, 2016, 04:40:33 pm
Nice shot - is it a torch/flashlight behind the spider? Maybe 1:1 crop would work here even better.
Title: Re: The Web Master
Post by: HSakols on September 21, 2016, 07:15:52 pm
Nice arachnid!  Unfortunately where I live we have too many black widows.  However, we will get some turantuas soon.
Title: Re: The Web Master
Post by: Bob_B on September 22, 2016, 07:35:22 am
Thanks biker. The light is a wall-mounted floodlight on my garage. I had tried a square crop but it felt crushed to me. Maybe I'll go back and look again. Thanks.
Title: Re: The Web Master
Post by: Bob_B on September 22, 2016, 07:37:36 am
Thanks Hugh. We have black widows around here, although I haven't seen one in quite some time. The closest we get to a tarantula are wolf spiders, and there are plenty out and about right now.