Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on September 18, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Title: Rydal boathouse
Post by: KMRennie on September 18, 2016, 09:49:30 am
A very calm and misty dawn on Rydal Water in the English Lake District. All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Stephen Girimont on September 18, 2016, 11:12:59 am
Very nice. Very quiet. Leaning just a hair to the left maybe?
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Richowens on September 18, 2016, 11:15:10 am
Kenny,

 That is gorgeous!

 Rich
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: bassman51 on September 18, 2016, 12:18:49 pm
Quite nice. 
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 18, 2016, 12:30:25 pm
Very nice. Very quiet. Leaning just a hair to the left maybe?

+1

I would rotate it very slightly clockwise.

Thierry
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: KMRennie on September 18, 2016, 12:39:21 pm
Thanks for the comments. I will have a look at the reflections to see if I am a tad squint, one of my frequent faults. I think that I may also crop a slight bit off of the top and bottom.
Ken
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 18, 2016, 01:45:03 pm
Very beautiful, and "painterly" in the very best sense.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: James Clark on September 18, 2016, 02:04:03 pm
Stunningly beautiful!
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 18, 2016, 02:26:17 pm
Thanks for the comments. I will have a look at the reflections to see if I am a tad squint, one of my frequent faults. I think that I may also crop a slight bit off of the top and bottom.
Ken

It's lovely. I might straighten it, although the adjustment will be small; I wouldn't crop it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: churly on September 18, 2016, 03:26:22 pm
Very pleasing.  I don't  see any reason to crop.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: KMRennie on September 18, 2016, 04:09:31 pm
Thanks for pointing it out I was 0.5 degree off. I have also darkened some of the bright reflections a tad. I think that it will print nicely on a soft textured paper and then I await some judge telling me, with a sniff, that the horizon is in the middle. ( looked too soft and flat on matte paper, printed on Fibre Gold Silk, looks nice but it still looks nicer as a digital image not something I am used to seeing)
Ken
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Sean H on September 18, 2016, 05:59:25 pm
+ 1
Very beautiful, and "painterly" in the very best sense.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Bob_B on September 18, 2016, 06:24:00 pm
Very beautiful, and "painterly" in the very best sense.

+++! The definition of serenity. (I'd love to spend a lifetime fishing and hiking around that lake. It looks so idyllic.)
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: graeme on September 19, 2016, 06:30:25 am
Thanks for pointing it out I was 0.5 degree off. I have also darkened some of the bright reflections a tad. I think that it will print nicely on a soft textured paper and then I await some judge telling me, with a sniff, that the horizon is in the middle.
Ken

Lovely, well done.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: stamper on September 19, 2016, 09:05:43 am
I like the scene and the composition but imo it lacks saturation and contrast. I am obviously in a minority of one. B&W?  Regarding a tilt then I didn't see one and being a little bit off means it isn't worth commenting on. Ironically I sometimes think that some of my images tilt a little but when I overlay the grid in LR or PS there isn't any.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: KMRennie on September 19, 2016, 09:33:29 am
Stamper I agree totally about the lack of contrast and saturation but increasing either loses whatever magic the image may have, or it does in my eyes.
Ken
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 19, 2016, 01:14:39 pm
The high contrast B&W style works perfectly for Stamper's images, but this one really needs the soft, pastel look which, as you say, gives it the magic.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 19, 2016, 01:59:47 pm
Great stuff, Ken: inspiring.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: brandtb on September 20, 2016, 08:39:10 am
very nice
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Arlen on September 20, 2016, 01:30:47 pm
The high contrast B&W style works perfectly for Stamper's images, but this one really needs the soft, pastel look which, as you say, gives it the magic.

I agree completely. High contrast has its place, as Stamper frequently demonstrates, but the key phrase for this one is gives it the magic.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: luxborealis on September 20, 2016, 02:20:23 pm
Very beautiful, and "painterly" in the very best sense.

+1
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 21, 2016, 05:12:01 am
Wonderful.
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: Mjean on September 21, 2016, 01:08:52 pm
Very nice!!!
Title: Re: Rydal boathouse
Post by: KMRennie on October 02, 2016, 08:13:03 pm
Went back down to Rydal before dawn today hoping for some mist on the water but no luck. The water was very calm. As you can see Autumn colours are just starting although the bracken has completely changed from green to brown. The first 2 shots were from April last year.
Ken