Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: maxs on September 15, 2016, 10:56:41 pm

Title: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: maxs on September 15, 2016, 10:56:41 pm
I am looking for recommendation on what ND filters are suitable for a H6D and what accessory I will need to attach them to the camera.

Any help appreciated.
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: tcdeveau on September 16, 2016, 11:18:15 am
I'd look at the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest ND line.  Singh-Ray and Lee are good as well. 

What lenses do you use?  As per accessories for attaching, you'll be attached the lens and not the H6D body/back, so the accessories you will need (and size of filters) will depend on what lenses you plan to use.  You could use threaded filters that screw directly on to the front of the lens, or square/rectangular filters, which will require a filter holder and an adapter ring to attach the filter holder to the lens. 
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: maxs on September 16, 2016, 08:51:58 pm
Thanks for the names of some of the filters.

I plan on using 35-90 and 80. I have seen other photographers using the square filters using some kind of holder in front. Not quite sure what that holder is?

Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 16, 2016, 09:06:47 pm
Thanks for the names of some of the filters.

I plan on using 35-90 and 80. I have seen other photographers using the square filters using some kind of holder in front. Not quite sure what that holder is?
holder is probably Lee (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera), although Cokin has a newer one that's large enough.

Most of the companies that make filters offer square ones.  If you use the holder with an adaptor for each lens, you only need one set of filters.  Also Grad ND filters really are only usable with this type of system because it allows you to fine tune the placement of the filter.
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: BobShaw on September 17, 2016, 05:50:56 pm
I plan on using 35-90 and 80. I have seen other photographers using the square filters using some kind of holder in front. Not quite sure what that holder is?
That is probably the Hasselblad Proshade which takes 100mm square filters.
I have one for sale if interested.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222161918315?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
PM me for more info.
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: maxs on September 18, 2016, 01:13:37 am
Bob

So the proshade allows you to insert a 100mm square filter like the Big Stopper?
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: BobShaw on September 18, 2016, 03:09:37 am
So the proshade allows you to insert a 100mm square filter like the Big Stopper?
A 100mm square filter can be anything, big stopper, little stopper, UV, Grad ND, green whatever.
"The  filter holder can also accept 75 mm square and 100 mm square gelatin or optical resin filters in card mounts. Rigid optical resin  lters or similar can be mounted singly or combined up to a maximum thickness of 4mm."
You can download the user guide in the H Accessories User Manuals section of the Hasselblad website.
Title: Re: H6D and ND Filter
Post by: Shrev94412 on September 22, 2016, 10:18:42 pm
Having owned Hasselblad for years and Phase using both Hasselblad lens and Alpa Rodenstock lenses and now Phase Blue line lenses I have taken a little different approach. Buying various ND filters for each lens filter thread can really start adding up especially if you are buying high end filters such as Heliopan (My Favorite), B+W and Formatt Hitech not to mention alot of filters to carry around. I am not a big fan of carrying around all those big 100 or 150 Square filters either. So, what I did was buy all the ND stop levels that I needed in 105mm filter thread size as that is the largest native lens filter thread lens I own. (I never use Grads as I do not care for them, I would rather blend). This ended up being about 6 ND filters plus a polarizer in 105mm thread size. Most of mine are all Heliopan and yes expensive but, I only had to buy around 6 or so of them up to 4 stop. I then purchased step-up rings for all my lenses stepping up from each lens native filter thread size to 105mm. So now I only carry a step up ring for any lens or lenses in my bag and one set of my 105mm Filters. Most of my filters are "Thin" so they also work great on my wide angle lenses. I do have the Lee "Big Stopper"  and "Little Stopper" for occasional use.

I also use these 105mm Filters on my Nikon gear as well with exception of my 14-24 of course.

Just my technique..........