Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on September 05, 2016, 04:29:20 am

Title: Open sky
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 05, 2016, 04:29:20 am
Just finished a 2 week holiday on the SW coast of Portugal. Been back to some of my favourite spots, and I am still processing the images. The weather this summer has been very hot, every month some sort of "warmest ever since 1800 or something" is broken. Today 40 C are expected in Lisbon, which for September is not usual... what this means is another reason to go out shooting really early and really late:)

This is a colour and b&w version of a shot at sunset, looking South from Cabo Sardao. Long exposure to enhance the sky, finished in SE Pro.

Best regards.
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 05, 2016, 07:25:30 am
Both are very well processed.

Thierry
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: luxborealis on September 05, 2016, 08:30:03 pm
The colour highlights the cliffs as they are in contrast to the blue of the sky.

The B&W highlights the sky as the "lines" heading towards. The vanishing point are pronounced.
Well done!
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 06, 2016, 06:31:59 am
Thanks gents.
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 06, 2016, 02:54:14 pm
I love the monochrome. I might suggest only that you tone down the white in the areas of sea surrounding the rocks: I find it distracts from the sky. Just a little would do it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 07, 2016, 04:12:37 am
Thanks Jeremy, I see what you mean. I just wonder if I do that, then the white foam would not be the same brightness of the white parts of the sky? Perhaps it would be strange then, will try it and see,
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Sean H on September 11, 2016, 10:05:41 am
Beautiful! What was the shutter speed?
The colour highlights the cliffs as they are in contrast to the blue of the sky.

The B&W highlights the sky as the "lines" heading towards. The vanishing point are pronounced.
Well done!
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 12, 2016, 04:39:35 am
Beautiful! What was the shutter speed?

Thanks. 149 seconds, with a Lee Big Stopper.
Title: Re: Open sky
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 12, 2016, 02:35:31 pm
Thanks Jeremy, I see what you mean. I just wonder if I do that, then the white foam would not be the same brightness of the white parts of the sky? Perhaps it would be strange then, will try it and see,

Maybe; but those areas are nothing like as prominent in the colour version. Worth a try, anyway. As I mentioned, you wouldn't need to be heavy-handed.

Jeremy