Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Holger Jacob on September 02, 2016, 12:16:41 pm
-
Hello Everyone,
i'm an architectural photographer and wonder how you guys are shooting in the field with your older backs.
I really like the leaf aptus 75 for example, but i have always the tethering-problem in mind.
Is there a way to shoot just with the laptop battery-power over thunderbolt in the field?
I've read about those firewire-repeaters but i think that's when it starts getting more and more bulky just to get live view outside with no power supply.
I've rented the CVF-39 sometimes and there was no problem with a fw800-cable without repeater.
Would be a shame to buy an older laptop with fw400 just to get an old leaf back to life.
How are your experiences?
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
-
Welcome Holger,
There are a number of options, and folks have created their own at times. It all depends on the back, newer ones that can be told to pull power from the battery make using the TB-FW800 adapter a success. Using a dock with fw800 that you can power just about any back, and the dock can be powered by a straight forward battery setup - such as the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock and a PCB Vagabond Mini or a "ChargeTech - 27,000mAh BLACK Portable Battery Pack w/ AC Outlet".
-Joe
-
Hi there,
Both my Sinar 54m and Leaf Aptus II-8 plug in and power up fine on a MacBook pro.
Greg
-
Maybe this link will help you
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1256
Luis
-
Hi there,
Both my Sinar 54m and Leaf Aptus II-8 plug in and power up fine on a MacBook pro.
Greg
Hi Greg,
how old is your macbook pro?
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
-
Mid. 2012 is the date. I bought it new in 2015.
-
Mid. 2012 is the date. I bought it new in 2015.
Ok.
And what about running the backs on the macbook without power supply?
Do they work?
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
-
Maybe this link will help you
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1256
Luis
Thanks Luis,
i've known that article. They were writing about the repeaters and they all need power supply. For me it's hard to imagine running around with my camera, macbook, 2 firewire cables, the repeater and some batteries.
Isn't there an easier way?
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
-
My backs run through the firewire straight to the MacBook pro without any issues or repeaters.
Thanks
Greg
-
I run my Sinar 54M with a Macbook Pro too. There seems to no other option.
Luis
-
This has been discussed before.
I use an older FireWire MacBook Pro without problems, or a newer MacBook Air with a thunderbolt to FireWire dongle in conjunction with a powered hub that gets its power from a free USB port on the air through a dc-dc converter.
So both solutions don't need external power.
I do carry a couple of chug-plug power packs to recharge my MacBook if necessary.
Oh, I use an H25.