Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Endeavour on August 30, 2016, 02:32:03 pm

Title: is autofocus compromised with a Hasselblad 1.7x ?
Post by: Endeavour on August 30, 2016, 02:32:03 pm
I usually rent an HC120mm when I do my fashion/portrait work. But I am having to reserve earlier and earlier to avoid missing it's availability.
 
as I have an 80mm kit lens aleady, I wonder if I could save a few pennies by buying myself a used 1.7x TC for when I need it.
I like the 120 but it isnt the fastest to autofocus

if I put a TC on the 80mm will that affect it's autofocus? (speed & accuracy) what about IQ?

The alternative is buying a 150mm but I know I'll also need an extension tube to get close autofocusing.

any thought please?
Title: Re: is autofocus compromised with a Hasselblad 1.7x ?
Post by: landscapephoto on August 31, 2016, 02:54:43 am
if I put a TC on the 80mm will that affect it's autofocus? (speed & accuracy)

Not noticeably.

Quote
what about IQ?

The alternative is buying a 150mm

The 150 will be slightly better. Its AF is also quite fast. Used 150mm can be had for not much more than a x1.7 TC.
Title: Re: is autofocus compromised with a Hasselblad 1.7x ?
Post by: hasselbladfan on August 31, 2016, 02:57:04 am
The 120mm version II will be sharper, but the 80 + 1,7x will have a faster AF, as the 120mm sometimes misses a beat and hunts.

Title: Re: is autofocus compromised with a Hasselblad 1.7x ?
Post by: Dustbak on August 31, 2016, 03:19:49 am
The HC80 is already less contrasty than the 150 but with the converter it's contrast will be even more less. This is especially noticeable when shooting with backlight. The AF is somewhat slower but that if possible I would opt for a HC150. Faster AF and better contrast.
Title: Re: is autofocus compromised with a Hasselblad 1.7x ?
Post by: shaun on August 31, 2016, 08:09:01 am
80mm & 1.7 slower but sharp.

Have used 1.7 with 210mm not sharp at edges, hasselblad looked at it and said it with good, nevertheless 210mm with tiltshift is pin sharp edge to edge.

Shaun