Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Lust4Life on August 30, 2016, 06:55:58 am

Title: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Lust4Life on August 30, 2016, 06:55:58 am
I have the X1D on order and would be curious to learn when the first ones start arriving.

How about, as members get their units posting when you got yours so the rest of us have an idea of when we will be getting ours.

It would also be interesting to post "bugs" or problems as we encounter them as well as resolutions found.

I normally will not be on the initial delivery of any product, but taking the weight out of my camera pack is priority right now!
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hasselbladfan on August 30, 2016, 11:21:30 am
The new delivery date for the new ones seem to be Sept 15. Let's hope it is true.

No news from my demo neither. I guess they are still fine tuning this baby. :)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: rent on August 30, 2016, 02:10:22 pm
Same here. No news other than B&H's shifting to 9/15 as the new ship date. My other dealer source does not even have a date yet. -alex
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hasselbladfan on September 09, 2016, 04:18:49 pm

No news I guess. :(
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JKevinScott on September 09, 2016, 07:04:25 pm
They are doing another demo day in New York on 9/14.  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hasselblad-x1d-h6d-100c-demo-day-with-model-tickets-27581739726.  Not sure what that implies about release date.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: mtakeda on September 09, 2016, 09:25:06 pm
I too have preorder and anxiously waiting for the shipment, and more frustrated for no information at all. I think the company lacks the customer service spirit. If the company official reads these site, they must realize to improve their attitude to keep customer informed.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: cgarnerhome on September 09, 2016, 11:22:01 pm
I have never owned a Hasselblad before but I'm now rethinking whether I want one.  My concern is if Hasselblad does such a poor job communicating can they provide the customer service that will keep me satisfied.  This is not the way you build trust with a potentially new user base.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: mtakeda on September 10, 2016, 06:40:42 am
It is my sicere hope that Hasselblad management reads this comment.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 10, 2016, 04:38:06 pm
You guys look like spoiled kids who cannot wait for their next toy to show up. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 10, 2016, 05:15:12 pm
Hi,

What you forgot tell is which year…

Joke a side, long times from presentation to first delivery are quite common in the industry. In addition, this year a large part of Sony's sensor production had heavy earth-quake damage, loosing several months of production.

I have also stated before, Hasselblad's announcement of the X1D was a bit too early, before final specifications were made. Like how many AF points does the X1D have and how do you move between them?

Best regards
Erik


The new delivery date for the new ones seem to be Sept 15. Let's hope it is true.

No news from my demo neither. I guess they are still fine tuning this baby. :)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: camgarner on September 10, 2016, 06:47:19 pm
You guys look like spoiled kids who cannot wait for their next toy to show up. ;)

It's true that I may be spoiled but expecting good communications from company that you may spend $20,000 with shouldn't be the sign of being spoiled ;)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: NickT on September 11, 2016, 03:54:29 am
Yeah I'm gonna order me a Tesla instead! those guys never get delayed!
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 11, 2016, 11:05:26 am
Hi Nick,

So that guy Elon Musk is also in digital imaging? The world always surprises me!

Best regards
Erik

Yeah I'm gonna order me a Tesla instead! those guys never get delayed!
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joe Towner on September 12, 2016, 08:36:48 pm
This thing?  Saw it at Glazers over the weekend.  We're within weeks of having them in our hands.  We expect perfection, so what ever Hasselblad has to do to make sure they hit all their test cases, so be it.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: fotagf8 on September 15, 2016, 08:33:27 am
I suspect that anyone who ordered the X1D camera will be disappointed today.  The BHPhoto site is now showing this as a new product that is expected to be available at the end of the September.

In my view, Hasselblad made a big mistake in how they rolled this out.  It looked like an interesting camera that would be worth taking a close look at, and it may still be, but they have now created impression that it is not even close to being a finished product, which raises questions as to whether when it finally arrives, it is a solid product, or still in the experimental phase.

As has been reported, Fuji is rumored to be releasing a medium format camera.  There were some doubts as to whether that rumor was true, but I suspect it is.  If I were Fuji and had those plans, I would start that rumor as a way to divert attention from and slow preorders of the X1D.  If I am correct, Hasselblad has hurt itself relative to Fuji, although in the end, the best product usually wins out.

In any event, with all this activity, it is a good time to be a photographer.  When all the dust finally settles (hopefully not on anyone's sensor), we should have some excellent choices.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 15, 2016, 07:03:34 pm
Honnestly, I don't understand the fuss.

What we have here is just an ambitious company who is struggling a bit to finalize the software part of a - probably - great product.

100% of the buyers already have a few other great cameras that have been serving them well. This delay has zero real impacts on anything.

I don't understand the concept of placing a pre-order for such a product in the first place to be honnest. This is plain high end consumerism.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: cgarnerhome on September 15, 2016, 10:43:50 pm
What I don't understand why they just don't take the high road and communicate honestly as to where the product stands.  Under promise and over deliver is a a better way to build a company.  It's a shame that expecting good communications is considered unreasonable. 
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hasselbladfan on September 17, 2016, 01:18:38 pm
You guys look like spoiled kids who cannot wait for their next toy to show up. ;)

I think we are still behaving very decently. :)

If you want a kids reaction, tell them their Xmas toys will now be delivered with Eastern! They won't talk to you for months.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JKevinScott on September 19, 2016, 01:20:32 pm
Hasselblad posted on their Facebook page this morning that the first shipment of production X1D's just shipped from their factory in Gothenburg.  (https://www.facebook.com/Hasselblad/?fref=ts), which I'm guessing means that shipments from retailers to customers is still 1-2 weeks out, assuming that they've shipped enough cameras to fill all of the preorders.  So that's good.

That said, I have to agree with folks on this thread that Hasselblad could have handled the communications on this rollout a bit better.  I fully appreciate how difficult it is to get a new product to market, and as a customer, I don't want a buggy product that was rushed to customers.  But.  When they announced the camera, it was Hasselblad, not the rumor mill, who said that units would be available at the end of August or early September.  It was their choice to allow retailers to accept pre-orders. 

I'm guessing most of the folks who lay down $14k for a new toy--I can't imagine how a professional photographer could make a rational business case for one of these right now sight unseen--expect their toy to show up when the manufacturer says that it will.  And when the manufacturer slips, and disappoints their expectant fans anxiously awaiting a new plaything, self included, it wouldn't kill them to say, "Hey everyone, we really appreciate the tremendous support that you've shown us.  We know that you're anxious to get your hands on this amazing thing that we've worked so hard to make for you.  That said, we need a few more weeks to make sure that the fit and finish are absolutely perfect so that your first experience with this camera is as spectacular as you're imagining.  You can expect one in your hand by X."
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: E.J. Peiker on September 19, 2016, 01:52:43 pm
They also posted that there will be an all black special edition.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: wnichols on September 20, 2016, 07:27:08 pm
As I wait for my X1D to get here I can't help but marvel at the stupidity of the 4116 special edition of this undelivered camera being announced.  Let's release a special edition, before we have even delivered to customers. 

I love and have long shot hasselblad's (although on my H series I moved to a Phase back, but that was to have flexibility in use with a tech cam) but this kind of nonsense drives me crazy at times.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: LA30 on September 20, 2016, 07:58:53 pm
As I wait for my X1D to get here I can't help but marvel at the stupidity of the 4116 special edition of this undelivered camera being announced.  Let's release a special edition, before we have even delivered to customers. 

Hasselblad is funny that way. I'll be curious to see if they ever get the heat under control with a final firmware.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joe Towner on September 21, 2016, 11:59:22 am
Actually it makes sense to announce the 4116 at this point - anyone who wanted it in black will now hold off on their original X1D order and that frees up unused inventory to make others happy.  If I wanted it in black, and found out 2 weeks after I got my X1D that they're now available in black, I'd be pissed and expect a full retail value on my trade in.

-Joe
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BAB on September 21, 2016, 10:01:03 pm
We should be able to choose the color we want but black is not a color by the way?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joseph Colson on October 01, 2016, 09:32:46 am
(http://www.joecolson.com/photos/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%209.04.10%20AM.png)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2016, 09:43:48 am
I guess that they need a bit more time to finalize the firmware.

I wish them the best of luck.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hasselbladfan on October 01, 2016, 10:22:41 am
I got a message yesterday from my Leica dealer that the demo I asked is delayed till end October.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: jacsin on October 02, 2016, 11:01:22 pm
Delivery expected end November in Japan...
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: rogan on October 03, 2016, 09:52:42 am
Early on I remember hearing about a H lens adapter and since then have heard nothing about it and it is not on their site. Did I dream this or has it not been mentioned since the launch?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BAB on October 03, 2016, 10:45:39 am
The H lenses adapter is an accessory that will be available but you will lose AF with your H lenses! The loss of AF was just released?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: douglevy on October 03, 2016, 11:51:18 am
Loss of af?! Dealbreaker for me. Is that official?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Neil Williams on October 04, 2016, 07:41:36 am
Getting mine on the 15th :)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 04, 2016, 08:05:02 am
Hi,

This wording: "There’s a clear benefit for existing Hasselblad users, he explains: ‘H system camera users can buy an adapter to use all our other lenses, currently without autofocus. That’s something that might come later, but no promises. This means there are sixteen lenses, including the three native ones, that can be used.’"

From this interview: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/2280876023/hasselblad-interview-at-photokina-2016

Just to say, the interview is a very interesting read!

Best regards
Erik


Loss of af?! Dealbreaker for me. Is that official?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hubell on October 04, 2016, 09:09:12 am
Getting mine on the 15th :)

My sense is that nobody really knows when X1Ds will actually start to be delivered to customers. I am curious why you believe you have a date certain.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Don Libby on October 04, 2016, 05:19:08 pm
what month... better yet what year  ;D
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: mtakeda on October 07, 2016, 12:29:33 am
They have announced the 4th.delay of the shipment. This time the president of the company made announcement with vague philosophical statement. Nothing about the reason of delay.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 07, 2016, 12:42:03 am
Hey,

Nothing uncommon that deliveries take time. A very large part of the effort goes into firmware development and also power and heat management. The initial announcement of the X1D was very early with largely unfinished firmware. Software development very often falls behind schedule, especially the first time you do it.

As you know, Sony makes the sensors and their factories were hit by a major earthquake, production is up and running now, but they have a giant backlog to fill. So, sensors may be a bottleneck.

Well, it is a long wait. I also had a ling wait for my Sony A7rII. It was announced early June and I got mine  in September. Hasselblad will ship X1Ds in numbers when they can. Be sure that they do what they can to get things into production.

Best regards
Erik


They have announced the 4th.delay of the shipment. This time the president of the company made announcement with vague philosophical statement. Nothing about the reason of delay.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 07, 2016, 02:49:38 am
Finally had the chance to play with one btw.

Overall very nice. The EVF is nice... for an EVF. It feels terrible compared to the OVF of the H6D I had just tried seconds before. But the again the H6D OVF may be the best there is.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: mtakeda on October 07, 2016, 05:51:32 am
I am not questioning about the delay. The issue here is that they did not explain the reason of delay. Up to this statement they never came out to keep us informed. They claimed the success beyond their expectation but they disregarded all those customers who made Hassel management feel success.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Theodoros on October 07, 2016, 08:04:18 am
Finally had the chance to play with one btw.

Overall very nice. The EVF is nice... for an EVF. It feels terrible compared to the OVF of the H6D I had just tried seconds before. But the again the H6D OVF may be the best there is.

Cheers,
Bernard

I believe it depends on the type of photography one has to deal with. IMO, there is nothing (or will ever be) to replace a good OVF when hand holding the camera... Clearly one's mind visualizes much better when there is direct eye contact (through the lens) with the subject. On cases though that visualization happens with direct vision (without looking through the lens), then EVF or OVF won't matter, it's LV on the rear screen (or tethered LV) that becomes important as to frame and focus on what has been visualized. Therefore, I think that mirrorless are much more flexible when tripods come into play (especially if used along with a bellows camera) and DSLR is for hand held photography.

But one shouldn't forget the motion picture part that is included on (almost) all modern Cmos offerings... I guess OVF (along with the mirrorbox) is completely useless for the video part of imaging...
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JKevinScott on October 07, 2016, 02:48:00 pm

Nothing uncommon that deliveries take time. A very large part of the effort goes into firmware development and also power and heat management. The initial announcement of the X1D was very early with largely unfinished firmware. Software development very often falls behind schedule, especially the first time you do it.

As you know, Sony makes the sensors and their factories were hit by a major earthquake, production is up and running now, but they have a giant backlog to fill. So, sensors may be a bottleneck.

Well, it is a long wait. I also had a ling wait for my Sony A7rII. It was announced early June and I got mine  in September. Hasselblad will ship X1Ds in numbers when they can. Be sure that they do what they can to get things into production.


Speaking for myself, the problem that I have with the way that Hasselblad has handled the X1D rollout so far isn't that they need extra time to finish complex firmware, get sensors from their vendor, debug heat problems, or whatever else they might be doing to get their product ready to ship to consumers.  They should take all the time that they need.  Building a new hardware/software platform is incredibly hard work. 

My problem is that they've taken orders from dealers who in turn have taken pre-orders from customers.  They have thrown out several dates and have missed them.  They've completely failed to communicate why they continue to miss dates.  And.  They're doing victory laps about how successful the camera launch is and making posts on social media channels about first units leaving their factory in Gothenburg without any indication whatsoever that a single photographer has received a production version of the camera, and no believable indication when they will.

If they needed more time, they should have announced the camera with some super vague date like "end of 2016" or "spring of 2017" or no date at all.  Then they could have had salivating customers anxiously awaiting the opportunity to buy the camera, without said customers being disappointed after putting down their credit card or deposit and expecting a piece of gear to arrive on the date the manufacturer communicated, only to have that date pass with no explanation, multiple times.

I just cancelled my pre-order.  I don't believe that Hasselblad knows when they're going to have units to customers, and I don't enjoy repeated disappointment.  I also don't want to stop caring about when the camera is going to arrive while I have a $14k pending charge on my credit card that could hit at any time.

So I'm going to do the rational thing, which is wait until the X1D is a real shipping product, not vaporware, given that I don't "need" one in any real sense.  I'll wait for dealers to have stock and/or believable delivery times.  And I'll wait for other photographers to get their units and report on whether the hype is merited.  Then I might buy one.  Or, the Fuji GFX might be on the market by then, and prove itself the superior choice, in which case, I'll save myself a few bucks and buy one of those instead.

I wish Hasselblad much luck.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 07, 2016, 06:10:25 pm
That makes sense. Can't blame you, I did exactly the same for my Nikon DL order, and that is with one less zero in the price.

Overall though, the progress I have seen with H6D-100c firmware makes me optimistic that Hasselblad IS progressing, but it looks like they under-estimated the complexity of the task as far as the X1D goes.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 08, 2016, 02:33:13 am
Hard to know who decided to "part ways", whether it is Fuji or Hasselblad.

I would guess that it is Fuji, but anyway I am not even that the contract binding both companies had a scope wider than H lenses production and selling in Japan.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: jvpictures on October 08, 2016, 04:08:00 am
X1D manual in English is out. Indication for delivery getting closer! :)
http://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/x1d-50c (under download)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joseph Colson on October 09, 2016, 10:31:35 am
Availability has been pushed to December 1:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ming-thein-explains-hasselblad-x1d-will-ship-later-expected-shares-new-images-meantime/

 >:( >:( >:(
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joseph Colson on October 10, 2016, 03:56:12 pm
The 45mm and 90mm lenses are shipping today from B&H.  8)

Joe
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JKevinScott on October 10, 2016, 04:36:03 pm
The 45mm and 90mm lenses are shipping today from B&H.  8)

Joe

That makes me doubly glad that I canceled my pre-order.  Having $5k worth of lenses sitting around depreciating while I'm waiting for the body to show up god-knows-when would have really irritated me.  :-)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: etto1972 on October 10, 2016, 10:37:28 pm
4116 edition Shipping on October 25th! ;D

http://www.adorama.com/hsx1d4116.html
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joseph Colson on October 11, 2016, 10:41:39 am
That makes me doubly glad that I canceled my pre-order.

I'm "doubly glad" too, because now I may get my camera sooner. As they say in football, next man up.  ;D

Joe
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JKevinScott on October 11, 2016, 04:02:47 pm
I'm "doubly glad" too, because now I may get my camera sooner. As they say in football, next man up.  ;D

Joe

:-)
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: JeffS on October 24, 2016, 11:10:10 pm
Part II video interview with Hasselblad CEO and Kevin reveals that 4, possibly 5, new X1D lenses (in addition to the 3 already announced) will be available by the end of 2017.  No word on specifics, but a roadmap might come in Q1 or Q2.

Jeff
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: hasselbladfan on October 26, 2016, 05:56:25 pm
Did the special edition finally ship? Or is this one also delayed till December?
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: Joseph Colson on October 26, 2016, 06:05:28 pm
Did the special edition finally ship? Or is this one also delayed till December?

Neither the 4116 Edition nor the standard X1D has shipped to customers. Hasselblad has stated that both will begin to be shipped to customers in late November - early December. We likely won't know more until late November. Demo units are being shipped to retailers and to Hasselblad reps.
Title: Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
Post by: cmarker on October 28, 2016, 10:59:23 am
I ordered the 4116 special edition from Adorama, just in case it did ship early. It did not and I was notified that it is back ordered as well.