Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: rgs on August 18, 2016, 10:36:26 pm

Title: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: rgs on August 18, 2016, 10:36:26 pm
It is commonly suggested that sunsets are a waste of time. That they are cliche and the market is saturated with them. All true, I suppose, but I have just learned that the first image below was just selected as the cover of a book with a pretty large print run for which I will be getting a pretty large fee. So this is kind of a celebration post. My wife wants to know if the book is a "scary" one  ;D  The other two are from the same evening. 
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 19, 2016, 12:33:24 am
Congratulations!
Those are all much more interesting than the run-of-the-mill sunsets.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 19, 2016, 02:36:14 am
Well done.

Thierry
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 20, 2016, 06:45:20 am
It is commonly suggested that sunsets are a waste of time. That they are cliche and the market is saturated with them. All true, I suppose, but I have just learned that the first image below was just selected as the cover of a book with a pretty large print run for which I will be getting a pretty large fee. So this is kind of a celebration post. My wife wants to know if the book is a "scary" one  ;D  The other two are from the same evening.

Boring sunsets may well be a waste of time. These aren't. Congratulations on the book.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: stamper on August 20, 2016, 10:03:08 am
Sunsets still have mass appeal imo. Personally I don't get bored looking at a worthy sunset and I still like to photograph them. These are a little different and worth looking at more than once!
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 20, 2016, 06:38:39 pm
The third image is beautiful. Congrats on your print!
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: MattBurt on August 23, 2016, 05:02:08 pm
Congratulations! Worthy sunset photos you have there.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: Sean H on August 24, 2016, 02:41:02 pm
+1 One can never have too many sunsets, at least if they are shot by you!

Congratulations! Worthy sunset photos you have there.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: HSakols on August 24, 2016, 07:51:27 pm
I think I like number 2.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: biker on August 25, 2016, 04:30:56 pm
It is commonly suggested that sunsets are a waste of time. That they are cliche and the market is saturated with them.

Why not focus on sunrises? ;) At least, the sun is on the other side so you've got original shots. I know - they're often rather misty so sunsets are much easier. And you don't have to wake up early.

I'm not sure if I like #1 or #3 better but all three of them are rather impressive.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: rgs on August 25, 2016, 06:14:17 pm
Why not focus on sunrises? ;) At least, the sun is on the other side so you've got original shots. I know - they're often rather misty so sunsets are much easier. And you don't have to wake up early.

I'm not sure if I like #1 or #3 better but all three of them are rather impressive.

Here in Oklahoma our sunsets tend to be orange and are frequently quite dramatic. We have some of the best anywhere. Sunrises are a bit more gentle with a lot more magenta. They really are different from sunsets. I'm attaching a couple of sunrises from Colorado just because they are recent. They tend not have sunsets there because the mountains get in the way.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Your comments are all appreciated.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: MattBurt on August 25, 2016, 06:49:08 pm
I'm attaching a couple of sunrises from Colorado just because they are recent. They tend not have sunsets there because the mountains get in the way.


Sometimes the mountains get in the way, depending on where you are but we get plenty of nice sunsets here in Colorado!
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 31, 2016, 05:05:22 am
Good stuff. Congrats on the book cover.
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: DaveRichardson on September 04, 2016, 03:09:06 pm
Congratulations - very nice images

Dave
Title: Re: Just Another Sunset??
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 05, 2016, 03:41:57 am
The third image is beautiful. Congrats on your print!

+1

Thierry