Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on August 16, 2016, 11:13:45 am

Title: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Bob_B on August 16, 2016, 11:13:45 am
Another monochrome version of my previous post (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=112813.0), incorporating some of Terry MacDonald's (luxborealis) ideas. Your thoughts are welcomed, and thank you for viewing.

   Bob
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 17, 2016, 04:59:56 am
Nice textures.

Thierry
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Otto Phocus on August 17, 2016, 05:47:00 am
That is a really pretty soothing photograph.  Nicely done.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: stamper on August 17, 2016, 05:51:03 am
The falling water - the focal point - is lost among the rocks imo, therefore it doesn't have the impact that a colour image would have with green foliage contrasting with the falling water.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Bob_B on August 17, 2016, 08:08:47 am
Thank you thierry, otto phocus, and stamper. Re: falls not the focal point -- Guilty as charged. I burnt the falls to reduce their impact and emphasize the rocks. Seemed like a good idea at the time.  :-\ I'll revisit editing this photo in the near future.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 17, 2016, 01:10:25 pm
Thank you thierry, otto phocus, and stamper. Re: falls not the focal point -- Guilty as charged. I burnt the falls to reduce their impact and emphasize the rocks. Seemed like a good idea at the time.  :-\ I'll revisit editing this photo in the near future.

I think you should. It's a lovely scene but the version you have posted looks rather flat.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Bob_B on August 18, 2016, 04:30:42 pm
I added many, small local adjustments, and came up with this, which will be 'it' for now. No doubt I'll revisit this one, hopefully with more insight. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: stamper on August 19, 2016, 03:25:31 am
That is better!
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 19, 2016, 08:42:38 am
That is better!
Much.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail, Pt2
Post by: Bob_B on August 19, 2016, 03:05:06 pm
That is better!

Thanks stamper and Eric. It's nice to know my efforts were in the right direction.