Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: uptownguydenver on August 15, 2016, 12:56:09 pm

Title: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: uptownguydenver on August 15, 2016, 12:56:09 pm
I am looking for a recommendation for a L-Bracket for the Phase One XF camera. Thank you
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Paul2660 on August 15, 2016, 01:17:54 pm
You have the standards from Kirk and RRS.  NOTE the L bracket from RRS requires you removing the smaller 1/20 screw from inside, as they are are threaded for 3/8".  On the XF and DF/DF+ for that matter there is a set/tap screw that has to be removed.  It is very hard to get it to unscrew without stripping.  I would consider having your dealer remove it if you have any resistance when you try.

I have switched to this?
https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/

More expensive but much more versatile and if you use more than one type of camera a great solution. 

The ability to rotate from horizontal to vertical without taking the camera out of the security of the bracket is an excellent idea along with the built in nodal slider, which works on most normal to mid telephoto lenses.

Paul C
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: uptownguydenver on August 15, 2016, 04:01:55 pm
Paul, thanks for the info on the RRS and Smart-Flex plate. I will check them out.
Larry
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Christopher on August 15, 2016, 04:16:00 pm
I have both. Work both great. I use the RRS when traveling light, as the Smart L bracket is great but quite heavy.

One more thing the nodal point can only be reached by a very few lenses. However, it certainly brings one closer.


Christopher Hauser
[email protected]
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Paul2660 on August 15, 2016, 06:38:07 pm
Flip the mount to allow the rail to extend over the lens not the XF.

This will allow nodal for the old 35mm new 45mm 55mm 80 mm and I believe the 150 LS.

Can get close with the 35LS, close enough that LR or ptgui can make the pano. I also use a rail for the 35LS.

40-80mm more than likely is too big and a bit to heavy.



Paul C
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: uptownguydenver on August 15, 2016, 10:19:09 pm
Paul, Thanks for the photos. Very helpful.
Is that a RRS 18" camera bar?
Do you have any issues with the remote cable clearing the L-Bracket?

Thanks, Larry
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Christopher on August 15, 2016, 10:50:29 pm
As I said it works and is a great tool. I just take care when hiking. The XF and lenses are heavy enough no need to add even more weight on accessories.


Christopher Hauser
[email protected]
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: E.J. Peiker on August 16, 2016, 01:23:07 am
I use the RRS L-bracket on the XF - no complaints!
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: sbernthal on August 16, 2016, 02:20:00 am
Flip the mount to allow the rail to extend over the lens not the XF.

This will allow nodal for the old 35mm new 45mm 55mm 80 mm and I believe the 150 LS.

Can get close with the 35LS, close enough that LR or ptgui can make the pano. I also use a rail for the 35LS.

40-80mm more than likely is too big and a bit to heavy.



Paul C

I don't understand what are the two parts that you've mounted inside the SmartFlex.
There is a rail and also some distancer that lifts the camera.
Can you give the names of these parts and where you buy them?
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Wayne Fox on August 16, 2016, 12:43:42 pm
While I like the smart flex, with the XF I've found I have to loosen the plate in order to remove the back.  Since I'm switching back and forth to a tech camera it's sort of a pita.  Wondering if the current version is any different (I believe mine was one of the first that were made).
Title: Re: L-Bracket for Phase One XF Camera
Post by: Paul2660 on August 16, 2016, 01:31:14 pm
The the plate mounted so that the rail is pointed towards the lens, back removal is no problem.  I will have to check with it mounted the opposite way.  The only issue with this is the camera has to be mounted to the smart flex back to front due to the stop screws. but if it's not done this way, then no lens other than the 80mm and older 35mm/45mmD can be moved to a nodal solution.  The rail won't accommodate the 55mm LS without the re-positioning. I have not noticed any issues with it mounted this direction.

Edit, yes with the plate mounted so that the rail is pointed to the back, removal of the digital back is not easy, as the XF 90 degree finder is blocking from the top. 

I have not had any issues with the plate bending using the way I am, even with the 35LS mounted.  But I realize that it's more than likely putting a bit of strain on the plate. 

Paul C