Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on August 09, 2016, 04:08:13 pm

Title: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 09, 2016, 04:08:13 pm
The old No. 9 trolley used to run from Baltimore to Ellicott City, Maryland, US. (Site of the devastating flash flood of July 31, 2016.) Today, it's a short, but very pleasant trail that descends from Catonsville down to the Patapsco River. Along the way, numerous small streams cascade over basalt formations. Most of the cascades are tiny; however, the recent flood has filled the water table and changed the topography of the area, making for some nice waterfalls. Here's one that captured my eye on this humid, overcast morning.

Thanks for viewing, and feel free to offer comments.

Best wishes,

   Bob
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 10, 2016, 04:23:21 am
The 2nd seems to be a bit magenta compared tho the first.

More contrast and slightly less exposure would enhance it.

You can also add some vibrance.

I like the first very much.

Thierry
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 10, 2016, 08:19:30 am
The 2nd seems to be a bit magenta compared tho the first.

More contrast and slightly less exposure would enhance it.

You can also add some vibrance.

I like the first very much.

Thierry



Thanks Thierry. You have good eyes! I indeed added a bit of split toning with magenta to remove some of the green that seemed to take over the image. Ditto with saturation: I actively sought to reduce green, and apparently overdid it. I'll be reworking it with fresh eyes.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 10, 2016, 11:35:11 am
Thanks Thierry. You have good eyes! I indeed added a bit of split toning with magenta to remove some of the green that seemed to take over the image. Ditto with saturation: I actively sought to reduce green, and apparently overdid it. I'll be reworking it with fresh eyes.

Have you changed the 2nd photo?

It seems to be good now at home with a calibrated screen.

Perhaps that the screen at my office is defective.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 10, 2016, 12:04:57 pm
No, neither have been changed. FWIW: I have posted a modified version of the second on my blog that removes the magenta and adds a bit more vitality to the scene.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 11, 2016, 02:49:20 am
No, neither have been changed. FWIW: I have posted a modified version of the second on my blog that removes the magenta and adds a bit more vitality to the scene.

Thanks!

My office's screen is definitely not calibrated.

Thierry
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 13, 2016, 09:14:04 am
Monochrome version: any thoughts?
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 13, 2016, 10:32:09 am
To me the color version feels warmer and more inviting, while the B&W one is more dramatic.
I like both, in different ways.
If you are displaying several prints together, I would show the color one with other color prints and the B&W one with other monochromes.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Arlen on August 13, 2016, 02:32:43 pm
I fully endorse what Eric said.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 13, 2016, 06:26:09 pm
Thank you Eric and Arlen. Point well taken.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2016, 08:03:43 am
The landscape orientation seems to better fit the "flow" of the rock and water (no pun intended). However, the main point of focus, the waterfall, as it is in the centre, is stifling a natural movement around the scene. Try cropping off a bit of the right or the left (perhaps as much as 15 to 25%) or, perhaps you have another file with the waterfall laterally off-centre.

Have you considered monochrome? The colours, as they are, don't seem to sit right, and there seems to be enough dynamic in the tones to warrant B&W.

Good luck with it.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 15, 2016, 11:37:22 am
Have you considered monochrome? The colours, as they are, don't seem to sit right, and there seems to be enough dynamic in the tones to warrant B&W.

Good luck with it.

Hi Terry,
    Thank you for your comments. I few days ago, I added a monochrome image to this posting. See reply #6 (above). I do have another photo with the falls off-center, and I'll have to explore its possibilities a bit more. It wasn't my first choice for other (technical) reasons.
    Best, Bob
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2016, 01:38:24 pm
Boy, do I feel dumb. The strange thing is, the mono didn't show up while scrolling through. Bizarre. Sorry for that.

The mono is quite fine. My cropping/framing recommendation still stands. I would add a slight grad mask to both top and bottom of approx. -0.5 in Exposure along with approx. +30 n Contrast and Clarity. This would subtly help prevent the eye from drifting away from the great angular rock details.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: MattBurt on August 15, 2016, 03:11:14 pm
I prefer the mono! So much nice texture in that.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 15, 2016, 05:01:03 pm
Thanks Terry and Matt.
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2016, 11:14:16 am
Boy, do I feel dumb. The strange thing is, the mono didn't show up while scrolling through. Bizarre. Sorry for that.

The mono is quite fine. My cropping/framing recommendation still stands. I would add a slight grad mask to both top and bottom of approx. -0.5 in Exposure along with approx. +30 n Contrast and Clarity. This would subtly help prevent the eye from drifting away from the great angular rock details.

On my MacBook Pro, the image was cropped on the right because of the width of my screen. I wondered what Terry was on about until I realised. I think it's a fine image and Terry's cropping suggestion makes it even better.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Waterfall on the No. 9 Trolley Trail
Post by: Bob_B on August 16, 2016, 11:20:22 am
Thanks Jeremy. I posted a revised b/w version incorporating some of Terry's points while you were typing. If you have a second, I'd appreciate your thoughts. - Bob