Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Tsbphoto on August 09, 2016, 03:26:28 pm
-
I have been looking to get a normal-ish lens for my Alpa. Im currently just using my 23mm Alpagon but have been wanting something a bit longer. I was interested in the 70mm Alpagon but haven't seen one used and im not ready to buy new.
I did come across a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 65mm F/4.5 in Alpa 12 mount on ebay and was wondering how this would perform on a digital back. Im currently using a P45+
The grandagon-N covers 4x5 so i would just be using the center of the image circle.
Is this a viable alternative to a 70mm Alpagon? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tyler
-
I haven't personally tested it, but I would expect it to be okay but a bit soft. The thing is with that large image circle one have to pay with lower resolution. The 70mm Alpagon is the Rodenstock Digaron-W 70mm and is thus a modern digital lens of the highest performance, so there should be a difference in micro contrast.
However if you shoot at f/16 with your P45+ I would expect perfectly usable results from the Grandagon, and perhaps after sharpening and a real print there won't be any relevant difference left. The P45+ has quite large pixels which of course also plays a role in masking the differences in performance.