Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NigelC on August 09, 2016, 08:30:43 am

Title: Epson P800 - OK to do test print/nozzle check using "wrong" black ink?
Post by: NigelC on August 09, 2016, 08:30:43 am
Having disabled auto black ink switching on my new P800, I don't want to switch from PK to MK just to do a nozzle check on plain paper -does this affect accuracy of output? - I can't see why it should, presumably it just lays down a bit less ink for the less absorbent gloss type paper.
Title: Re: Epson P800 - OK to do test print/nozzle check using "wrong" black ink?
Post by: DeanChriss on August 09, 2016, 09:00:29 am
Having disabled auto black ink switching on my new P800, I don't want to switch from PK to MK just to do a nozzle check on plain paper -does this affect accuracy of output? - I can't see why it should, presumably it just lays down a bit less ink for the less absorbent gloss type paper.

By "accuracy" I assume you mean accuracy in showing whether a nozzle is clogged or not. If so the answer is yes, it's fine to use the "wrong" ink for a nozzle check on plain paper. At least I hope so since I've done exactly that for 7.5 years on a Epson 7900 and for a month or so on a P7000.
Title: Re: Epson P800 - OK to do test print/nozzle check using "wrong" black ink?
Post by: NigelC on August 09, 2016, 11:51:29 am
By "accuracy" I assume you mean accuracy in showing whether a nozzle is clogged or not. If so the answer is yes, it's fine to use the "wrong" ink for a nozzle check on plain paper. At least I hope so since I've done exactly that for 7.5 years on a Epson 7900 and for a month or so on a P7000.

Yes that's what I meant - thanks fo that
Title: Re: Epson P800 - OK to do test print/nozzle check using "wrong" black ink?
Post by: Wayne Fox on August 09, 2016, 04:17:32 pm
there is no correct ink for a nozzle check. It simply uses whatever color of black is currently selected.  You do not need to change the settings in the printer to a specific paper or to the paper you are matching when printing a nozzle check.   

When running a nozzle check it doesn't really matter what paper you put in the machine.  I believe nearly everyone uses plain paper, but they don't set the printer up for "plain paper", they just select the paper type they usually use.