Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattNQ on August 07, 2016, 09:28:28 pm

Title: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattNQ on August 07, 2016, 09:28:28 pm
I'm in a quandry with this one.
Originally, it didn't strike me to be a particularly strong composition - just that single band of light to draw the eye in.
But I find this one strangely appealing - I like looking at it, but I can't quite put my finger on why?

Thoughts?

(https://photos.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Infrared/i-hGSmxCG/0/L/P8063943_edit-L.jpg)
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 07, 2016, 11:51:34 pm
I like it. The graphic design of the stark branches makes the image.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 08, 2016, 12:28:48 am
I like it. The graphic design of the stark branches make the image.
and the light coming through.
It's a keeper.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 08, 2016, 12:41:49 am
Oh no, my grammatical error propagated via Eric's response. :-)
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 08, 2016, 01:33:01 am
A wonderful image
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattNQ on August 08, 2016, 01:55:27 am
Oh no, my grammatical error propagated via Eric's response. :-)
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it  :)
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattNQ on August 08, 2016, 01:59:43 am
and the light coming through.
It's a keeper.

Thanks Eric. The light was what drew me to that spot in the first place, but I think it worked better than I thought it would at the time.
I did try a few different positions (must have got a few funny looks from passers by as I held the camera at a number of strange angles)
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattNQ on August 08, 2016, 02:01:01 am
I like it. The graphic design of the stark branches makes the image.
Thanks Rajan. I initially wondered if the branches had ended up too dark, but it might have been too bland if they were too light.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattNQ on August 08, 2016, 02:01:19 am
A wonderful image
Thank you Bill
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: Arlen on August 08, 2016, 11:07:11 am
I like it a lot. The light coming through is just superb.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: RSL on August 08, 2016, 02:30:50 pm
Oh no, my grammatical error propagated via Eric's response. :-)

Don't sweat it, Rajan. Nowadays there are very few people who know the difference (or care). What's spooky is considering what that attitude will do to our future when you realize we think with language.

Love the picture, though.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2016, 04:57:26 pm
I like it too but for me it's the glow of the foliage and the dark drunks and branches that appeal to me the most. That leading foreground light is nice but I appreciate it as an afterthought to the other elements.
Title: Re: Afternoon light riverside #2
Post by: stamper on August 09, 2016, 03:37:22 am
Very likeable. Nicely processed.