Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on August 07, 2016, 03:11:53 pm
-
I recently won an auction on a camera I've been wanting for a while, a Kodak Medalist I in excellent condition. Whenever I get some new photo gear, I head up the canyon to Rocky Mountain National Park to test it out.
I shot 3 rolls of Acros 100 through the camera and they are developed and drying now. In the mean time, I figured I'll post some photos from the digital camera I took along for the outing, a Sigma DP2M. I'll post my film shots from the Kodak Medalist in another thread once I scan them in. It will be interesting to compare the two since I shot both cameras at the same locations and each camera has relatively the same field of view and picture ratio.
These will be a mix of B&W and color photos as I REALLY like how the Sigma takes B&W. Besides that, some photos just look better in B&W.
It was a windy, wet day in the park with lots of overcast skies. Makes for some interesting shots though!
(https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8614/28214034213_c46f21a211_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JZbipK)RMNP 5Aug2016 1 (https://flic.kr/p/JZbipK) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8048/28723910942_7fbb449ccc_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLexZQ)RMNP 5Aug2016 2 (https://flic.kr/p/KLexZQ) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8856/28214033783_f9ed495b7c_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JZbihk)RMNP 5Aug2016 4 (https://flic.kr/p/JZbihk) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7741/28723909322_e034fd7dd6_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLexvU)RMNP 5Aug2016 7 (https://flic.kr/p/KLexvU) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8779/28211287774_87c9a9a24a_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JYWdZm)RMNP 5Aug2016 9 (https://flic.kr/p/JYWdZm) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
-
I'm just about done scanning the negatives in for the film I shot up there. I should have the images posted in a few minutes.
In the meantime, here is the camera that the film images were shot with, a Kodak Medalist I.
This camera is 77 years old! Still looks great, and from the negatives, still takes exceptional photos. I am really going to enjoy using this camera.
Built like a tank (literally) and one of the sharpest lenses ever made. These were used my the Army and Navy during WWII.
(https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8407/28723905052_172db3ff0f_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLewfh)Kodak Medalist I - 1 (https://flic.kr/p/KLewfh) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7608/28723911592_b2d25a0678_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLeyc3)Kodak Medalist I - 3 (https://flic.kr/p/KLeyc3) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8570/28211289154_5a9a566e6d_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JYWep9)Kodak Medalist I - 2 (https://flic.kr/p/JYWep9) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
-
Well, I got the negatives scanned.
I wish there was a way to display these images like they are displayed on my calibrated screen, large and full of tones, the down res image displayed on the internet color palate doesn't let you see the full qualities of these images.
Anyway, saying that, here they are.
These were shot on a 77 year old Kodak Medalist I that I received a couple of days ago. These are my first rolls and my first shots taken with this old camera, so I really didn't know what to expect. The first images were shot with trough a minus blue filter on Neopan Acros 100 film rated at 50 ISO and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 9 minutes. After they dried, I scanned them in using an Epson V750 pro.
(https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8611/28759958541_a3f30f2e00_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KPqiGa)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 1 (https://flic.kr/p/KPqiGa) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8431/28551916130_90367b0082_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32W3)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 2 (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32W3) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8683/28731237202_64053f6558_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLT6QE)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 3 (https://flic.kr/p/KLT6QE) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
These next few were taken between 11,500 ft and 12,000 ft altitude. It was raining on and off, but it made for some good photo taking.
(https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8650/28759964781_6ba5f1e979_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KPqkxK)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 4 (https://flic.kr/p/KPqkxK) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8586/28551915540_be4ca6b7ae_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32KS)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 5 (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32KS) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8831/28551915100_b49f7bde1b_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32Ch)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 6 (https://flic.kr/p/Kv32Ch) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
These last images were using the same film and shot through the same filter, but I used Pyrocat MC at 1:1:100 to develop them. The negatives were a little thick at 15 minutes development time, so next time I'm going to develop for 12 minutes.
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8863/28835999275_5d3d8cb064_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KW92Xi)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 7 (https://flic.kr/p/KW92Xi) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8856/28731236632_3891177a56_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KLT6EQ)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 8 (https://flic.kr/p/KLT6EQ) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
(https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8594/28759964081_bd3b56eb41_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KPqkkF)Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 9 (https://flic.kr/p/KPqkkF) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
Thats it for now. I have a few other photos (I shot 3 rolls, so 24 exposures total), but they weren't as interesting, or were doubles of these.
Next weekend I am going to take this camera, along with my 4x5 large format camera and my D600 to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for some more photography and camping.
-
RMNP is one of my favorite places on earth. Morane Park shots are beautiful. All are well done.
-
That elderly beast certainly does the job. And what a great place to "test" your "new" camera!
A good series.
-
Fine work.
Thierry