Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on August 07, 2016, 05:32:24 am

Title: Only a Massage?
Post by: stamper on August 07, 2016, 05:32:24 am
Interesting?
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 07, 2016, 01:42:50 pm
Interesting?

Interesting. Someone with a dirty mind might place an obscene interpretation on the sign, though. Maybe it's you...

Jeremy
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Otto Phocus on August 08, 2016, 06:12:27 am
Could you share with us why you thought this was interesting?
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: stamper on August 08, 2016, 06:35:54 am
As Jeremy pointed out there is more than one interpretation. I am not going to pretend that the image is "fine art" but I found a certain kind of amusement - sign of a dirty mind which we all have - but others might disagree? There is nothing deeply philosophical about the image so if a dissection is wanted then I am not the person to ask.  :-\ ;)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Otto Phocus on August 08, 2016, 07:53:50 am
Then, unfortunately, I would have to say that no, this photograph is not particularly interesting. There does not appear to be any story, nor, from your point of view as the photographer was there any story behind this. It looks like a snapshot.

I guess B/W makes it a little more artsy?  ;D
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: stamper on August 08, 2016, 08:06:07 am
Then, unfortunately, I would have to say that no, this photograph is not particularly interesting. There does not appear to be any story, nor, from your point of view as the photographer was there any story behind this. It looks like a snapshot.

I guess B/W makes it a little more artsy?  ;D

Obviously not interesting to you but hopefully others might find in interesting ...or possibly amusing. :)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 08, 2016, 10:35:36 am
I find it quite interesting. It has lots of ambiguity, raising lots of questions.
For example:
   "Is the guy in the chair experiencing post-coital ecstasy?"
   or "How long has he been dead?"

The two massage therapists seem to be ignoring him entirely.
The whole scene is rather bizarre.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 08, 2016, 10:47:15 am
I am usually proud of my dirty mind, but it seems it utterly failed me in this case.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: RSL on August 08, 2016, 02:32:11 pm
Mine did too, Slobodan. I guess it's Jeremy who's in trouble.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: drmike on August 08, 2016, 03:24:52 pm
For what it's worth I'm with Otto and I can't see that B&W offers any benefits in this case.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2016, 04:55:35 pm
This image is an example of why I say I don't entirely get street photography.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: drmike on August 08, 2016, 04:57:53 pm
I don't think it would be fair to judge the genre or your overall reaction to it on the basis of this image, without intending to slight the author which I realise I sort of have.

Mike
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2016, 05:13:20 pm
I don't mean to slight anyone and realize there certainly may be something interesting or artistic to the image (and many other street images) but they seem to be lost on me.

Looks like a slow day at the seated massage stand. I'm probably being too literal.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 08, 2016, 06:12:21 pm
I find it quite interesting. It has lots of ambiguity, raising lots of questions.
For example:
   "Is the guy in the chair experiencing post-coital ecstasy?"
   or "How long has he been dead?"

The two massage therapists seem to be ignoring him entirely.
The whole scene is rather bizarre.

The French for intra-coital ecstasy is "petite mort", which rather nicely merges your two questions.

Mine did too, Slobodan. I guess it's Jeremy who's in trouble.

Move the first word on the second line up to the first line, and insert a pause.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 08, 2016, 06:42:08 pm
... Move the first word on the second line up to the first line, and insert a pause.

I find it hard to come [pause] to such a conclusion ;)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 08, 2016, 07:28:46 pm
If one measure of the success of an image is the quantity of commentary that it generates, then this one must be considered a success.   ;)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: DougJ on August 08, 2016, 09:42:19 pm
Slobodan,

Some days you're way too much with the double entendres. LOL

Doug
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: stamper on August 09, 2016, 03:17:49 am
I didn't consider this a "masterpiece" of street and I didn't even infer it was "street"....others have however. I thought it was amusing and had some ambiguity. The fact he was on a public street bent over expecting a £5 massage and that in fact something else might happen looked as if it was worth taking. The two ladies are from a Thai massage parlour that I thought for years might be a knocking shop. To sum up .... a sense of humour was needed whilst viewing the image. :)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 09, 2016, 01:54:52 pm
I didn't consider this a "masterpiece" of street and I didn't even infer it was "street"....others have however. I thought it was amusing and had some ambiguity. The fact he was on a public street bent over expecting a £5 massage and that in fact something else might happen looked as if it was worth taking. The two ladies are from a Thai massage parlour that I thought for years might be a knocking shop. To sum up .... a sense of humour was needed whilst viewing the image. :)

I enjoyed it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 09, 2016, 01:55:40 pm
Some days you're way too much with the double entendres. LOL

A girl walked into a bar and said to the barman, "I'd like a double entendre, please". So he gave her one.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 09, 2016, 02:37:12 pm
A girl walked into a bar and said to the barman, "I'd like a double entendre, please". So he gave her one.

Jeremy
+1.   ;)
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 09, 2016, 02:37:33 pm
I enjoyed it.

Jeremy
+1.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: RSL on August 09, 2016, 03:25:12 pm
The French for intra-coital ecstasy is "petite mort", which rather nicely merges your two questions.

Move the first word on the second line up to the first line, and insert a pause.

Jeremy

I know the French expression, but only a lawyer would think of moving a word up to get a desired result.
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2016, 03:35:27 am
I know the French expression, but only a lawyer would think of moving a word up to get a desired result.

We're a more imaginative bunch than is frequently believed. ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Only a Massage?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 10, 2016, 09:30:41 am
We're a more imaginative bunch than is frequently believed. ;)

Jeremy
It's good to get a little creativity into this forum.   ;)

Eric