Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: PBC on August 05, 2016, 05:03:49 pm

Title: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: PBC on August 05, 2016, 05:03:49 pm
Having been out of action for the last few months following two operations on my knee, I have been refining my post processing and revisiting some images from my trip to Lofoten in February this year (my last outing with the camera)...

This was one of those moments; stunning light and incoming blizzard with about two minutes to get from the car, set-up and shoot before the snow hit (hard!) :-)

Phil

Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 05, 2016, 06:01:49 pm
That is a definite winner.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Bob_B on August 05, 2016, 06:56:56 pm
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgeries. Lovely scene. I'm the last person to know when to crop, but I wonder if removing (maybe) a little from the bottom of your photo might not tighten it up a bit. Just a thought.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 05, 2016, 07:22:50 pm
Great photo. Print it big.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: brandtb on August 05, 2016, 07:24:29 pm
Beautiful subjects, color, tones /B
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: graeme on August 05, 2016, 09:25:20 pm
Stunning. Well done.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: MattBurt on August 06, 2016, 12:40:17 am
Love the scene and the repeating triangle shapes. Great shot!
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 06, 2016, 11:14:16 am
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgeries. Lovely scene. I'm the last person to know when to crop, but I wonder if removing (maybe) a little from the bottom of your photo might not tighten it up a bit. Just a thought.

+1

Very Nice Scene.

Thierry
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: PBC on August 06, 2016, 12:06:27 pm
Thanks guys - always good to get feedback (especially as I have zero confidence in my post processing  :'( )

As for the crop, I always try to keep my aspect ratios the same; so this is 1:1 and if I cropped off the bottom I would drop content on left or right which I wouldn't want to do.  At least that is what I think  :)
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: francois on August 06, 2016, 12:14:40 pm
Superb image not much else to add!
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 07, 2016, 11:13:46 am
Beautiful.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 07, 2016, 02:52:14 pm
Really really good.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: framah on August 07, 2016, 02:58:20 pm
Now, remember, this is purely my opinion:

Aspect ratios should have nothing to do with the image. All it does is to lock something into a shape that most times is not the optimum shape for it.  I love the image but find no reason to insist on keeping it square solely because you like to keep ratio aspects the same.
The subject should dictate the overall shap of the image.

In this one, i think a bit of cropping on the bottom would help it..not a large crop, mind you, but a bit of a chop would help it.  I would say just a bit above your signature.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Mjollnir on August 08, 2016, 10:26:33 am
Nice.  Reminiscient of a Bruce Percy shot.

Great separation and subtle colors.  Well done.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: philaitman on August 08, 2016, 10:48:26 am
Oh Yeah, that's a magnificent shot.
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: PBC on August 09, 2016, 05:29:37 pm
Nice.  Reminiscient of a Bruce Percy shot.

Praise indeed as I do like Bruce's work - and he was about 6 feet to my right when I took this shot :-)
Title: Re: Haukland, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Post by: Sean H on August 09, 2016, 10:44:55 pm
+ 1
Love the scene and the repeating triangle shapes. Great shot!