Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: mseawell on August 04, 2016, 11:44:43 pm

Title: Snow Canyon
Post by: mseawell on August 04, 2016, 11:44:43 pm
Snow Canyon, Utah. Our first trip to this remote area close to St George. If you haven't been to southern Utah in summer I can tell you one word: hot! We were camping with some friends at Pine Valley in the mountains and this made a huge difference in our experience. But we were promised a hike so we departed for Snow Canyon and arrived around 8.30 in the morning. Thunder storms the night before had cleared the air. The heat had begun and we were in a race against time before it hit triple digits. So though the trail which was more of a rock garden than anything else. Beautiful cacti along the path and some interesting trees but nothing to get excited about. After about an hour of hiking I was left behind because well, I'm a photographer :) Up ahead I heard voices grow louder with excitement and my wife's voice was the loudest. After catching up I saw why. There it stood suddenly, this gaping maw of a place. The beautiful Navajo reds and whites were stunning and it all seemed to stretch towards infinity. One of our friends grew up in the area before moving to northern Utah and she knew this place inside out. I finally picked my mouth off the ground to capture this place, so hidden but so in your face. Snow Canyon was definitely worth the sweat and we look forward to returning in the winter.
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 05, 2016, 03:51:37 am
Looks like a great location.
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: francois on August 05, 2016, 06:33:07 am
Great write-up and another outstanding shot.
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 05, 2016, 09:15:18 am
Great write-up and another outstanding shot.
+1.

I look forward to the winter version, with snow!
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: Patricia Sheley on August 05, 2016, 09:37:15 am
hoping the same... it's been great watching Mark explore his new stomping grounds.
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: francois on August 05, 2016, 09:42:57 am
+1.

I look forward to the winter version, with snow!

Me too!
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: PeterAit on August 05, 2016, 09:53:14 am
That is certainly a stunning scene - and I think a very well done photo.
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: mseawell on August 05, 2016, 11:50:24 am
Thanks for all the kind comments. I definitely want to return. We hiked as a group to this location. That means 4 people getting up, having breakfast, drinking coffee followed by a 25 minute drive to the trailhead followed by at 1 hour 15 minute hike. What am I getting at? The light was not the best. I would have been at this location, had I known, before sunrise and trust me the next time I will. Love camping, love hiking with friends but I'm a photographer  ;D. Aside from my wife, friends don't understand our relationship with optimum light so to them, there is no need hurry. That is the one big drawback I've experienced when camping here. It turns more into a "fun" photography session instead of a serious shoot. But, all that aside, I still got some decent shots and SO appreciative of them sharing this with us.  Next time...

Mark
Title: Re: Snow Canyon
Post by: MattBurt on August 06, 2016, 12:44:03 am
That looks like a great location and a fine shot even if it was outside the golden hour. I bet you can top it and look forward to that!

I know what you mean about group activities. I can get nice photos on them but not my best. I take some solo trips just for that reason.