Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on August 02, 2016, 07:51:24 am

Title: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: JoeKitchen on August 02, 2016, 07:51:24 am
How bad is the light fall-off of the Rodie 32mm when compared to the SK 35mm? 

The SK 35mm always needs a CF; if this the case with the Rodie 32mm as well? 

Considering the lens cast issues of the newer backs, will using the CF cut down on noise in the corners? 
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: jamgolf on August 02, 2016, 08:40:38 am
I now have a CF with the 32HR but I used it without a CF for over a year. I think the light fall is not too bad and LCC manages it well.
Here are a couple of examples to provide you an idea:

32HR (no CF, with LCC)
        (http://jawad.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1734087117-5.jpg)

32HR (no CF, with LCC)
        (http://jawad.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v67/p1693551734-5.jpg)

32HR (no CF, no LCC)
        (http://jawad.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v94/p453529671-5.jpg)

Cheers!
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: JoeKitchen on August 02, 2016, 08:55:48 am
Thanks.  What back were these shot on? 
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: jamgolf on August 02, 2016, 09:20:50 am
These three were shot with Credo 60.

When I bought the 32HR I asked the same question that you are asking. I was told to use it without CF and if the results were not satisfactory then get the CF. I think the results were quite satisfactory (for me) but CF just produces a very even exposure - but does cost 2.5 stops.
So, if the light or subject is such where a loss of 2.5 stops is not a problem then I use the CF, but if the subject is such that a higher shutter speed is needed then I would not hesitate shooting without CF.
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: Brent Daniels on August 02, 2016, 09:39:58 am
With WA lens a center filter only fixes density fall off. It will not do anything for the bits of color shift that shows up when doing any form of movement on a technical camera. When you look at before & after scene calibration adjusted images it is quite amazing how much bits of color shift is actually there. Plus 2.5 stops is a lot more exposure time.

I have no idea if the Phase / C1  LLC process also cleans up the color shifts as the Hasselblad scene calibration does. With Phocus you can also dial in the amount of correction for density fall off and color shifts. I use a 47mm 770% of the time with no expensive filter  and really love being able to take out all the color shifts, and then adjust how much corner fall off I get. 
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: voidshatter on August 02, 2016, 11:00:08 am
If you don't shoot long exposure with ND filters then it's totally fine to go without center filter and the LCC will not introduce much noise in the corners because vignetting is not severe.

If you shoot long exposure with ND filters without center filter then LCC will introduce obvious noise in the corners due to severe vignetting.

However the center filter for the 32HR is too huge and cannot be used in conjunction with ordinary ND filters.
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: dchew on August 02, 2016, 11:49:02 am
I have no idea if the Phase / C1  LLC process also cleans up the color shifts as the Hasselblad scene calibration does. With Phocus you can also dial in the amount of correction for density fall off and color shifts. I use a 47mm 770% of the time with no expensive filter  and really love being able to take out all the color shifts, and then adjust how much corner fall off I get.

Yes, the C1 LCC process works the same way. You have the option of eliminating all falloff or some percentage.

Dave
Title: Re: Rodenstock 32mm Light Fall-Off
Post by: alatreille on August 02, 2016, 12:06:09 pm
Hi Joe,

I've had the 32 for about two months now and have been working with it on my 60.
I'm very content with the way the LCC is cleaning up the files, even with big shifts.

I've got a busy week this week, but I'd be happy to send you over a couple of files from a recent project if you want to have a look yourself.
PM me if soo.

Cheers

A