Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on August 01, 2016, 07:05:14 am

Title: Mountain gateway
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 01, 2016, 07:05:14 am
I'm a bit worried about the lack of separation between the right-hand rock and the background. Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Mountain gateway
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 01, 2016, 02:31:49 pm
I agree; and I'm not sure it adds much to the image. I hesitate to suggest it, and I hope Russ isn't reading, but why not crop it out? Make a square from the left.

You'd have to change the title, I suppose.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mountain gateway
Post by: francois on August 02, 2016, 08:35:42 am
I would also crop it…
Title: Re: Mountain gateway
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 02, 2016, 09:02:59 am
I think you have two conflicting subjects in this shot. On the one hand, you have the pair of jutting rocks in the foreground; on the other hand, you have a great landscape with the glacial-like "U" valley in the distance, and the nice sky.

If you crop, you lose the foreground subject, while not enhancing the landscape in any way. The rocks are just obstructing the view to a nice landscape.
Title: Re: Mountain gateway
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 03, 2016, 08:48:45 am
If you crop, you lose the foreground subject, while not enhancing the landscape in any way. The rocks are just obstructing the view to a nice landscape.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
For me the twin trail markers echo the mountains that form the pass. I'd hoped that the angles might create some tension. I'll let this settle a bit before returning to it.