Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: tr4driver on July 26, 2016, 08:16:48 am

Title: Canon iPF Question
Post by: tr4driver on July 26, 2016, 08:16:48 am
Greetings,

I have a Canon iPF8400.  I've seen videos of this printer (and similar models) printing with the front cover raised, and I was wondering how this was accomplished.  Is there a setting on the printer (that I've been unable to find) that allows this? Or do you simply have to place something in the switches on either side of the cover to keep them pressed?

Thanks,

Kurt
Title: Re: Canon iPF Question
Post by: Czornyj on July 26, 2016, 08:51:09 am
There's a switch on the left side. There's no setting for such printing, as it's not safe to do that.
Title: Re: Canon iPF Question
Post by: Richard.Wills on July 27, 2016, 12:14:51 pm
My 8400 runs perhaps 60% of the time with the hood open - a folded piece of 5mm Kapa in the recess on the RHS by the bristles of the cleaning brush. Helps to see if there are head strikes, and to hold down the beginning of prints on papers such as Canson Platine Rag.

I do have to tell clients not to get too close, as had one try to point to a part of the print coming as it was running. Explained, that I pulled them out of the way, as the head would not stop, and I hate cleaning blood from machines. Also, be aware that after X number of prints, the printer will want to check nozzles and / or clean the head, and this needs to happen in darkness. You won't be able to close the cover when this starts, so be ready to kill the lights in the room.
Title: Re: Canon iPF Question
Post by: wnichols on August 03, 2016, 03:24:07 pm
why would you want to run with the front cover raised?  I have tens of thousands of prints through my IPF6400 and never thought of a reason why you would want to?
Title: Re: Canon iPF Question
Post by: Richard.Wills on August 05, 2016, 10:55:53 am
Allows me to spot problems earlier. Head strikes on platine tend to happen in the first six inches, and I run a lot of platine rag, so I can cancel a big print earlier, and waste less paper. Plus, it's fun to watch...
Title: Re: Canon iPF Question
Post by: wnichols on August 08, 2016, 03:29:06 pm
I get that - thanks for the insight. 

Thanks!