Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on July 25, 2016, 11:22:36 am

Title: Fly identification?
Post by: Bob_B on July 25, 2016, 11:22:36 am
I've seen a few of these large, black and white flies recently, and wonder what they are? I haven't seen one before and yet this year I've spotted them 6-7 times. (It could have been the same individual for all I know.) This one posed on one of my orchid hanging woodslot baskets.

Thanks for the help and for viewing.

Bob
Title: Re: Fly identification?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 25, 2016, 11:24:51 am
I am sure our resident bugger (i.e., expert in bugs) John Koerner, will be able to help you out :)
Title: Re: Fly identification?
Post by: Arlen on July 25, 2016, 03:45:23 pm
It looks like a Tiger Bee Fly, Xenox tigrinus; http://bugguide.net/node/view/2803
Title: Re: Fly identification?
Post by: Bob_B on July 25, 2016, 03:49:27 pm
Apt name! Thanks Arlen. (Also, I bookmarked the bugguide link. Nice.)