Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on July 20, 2016, 05:01:49 pm

Title: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 20, 2016, 05:01:49 pm
Well, small rapids they are... f/11, ISO 32, 231 Sec, EV +1 Lee Big Stopper
Title: Re: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: Arlen on July 21, 2016, 12:50:29 am
Nice shot Chris, but...rapids? Out here in The West, we would call that a pond with a mild breeze blowing across it.

Brings to mind a line from a certain movie, "You call that a knife? THIS is a knife."  ;)
Title: Re: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 21, 2016, 08:09:15 am
 ;) It's what they're called by the locals. Where I live if you toss a rock into a stream enough to divert the current, the rafters will show up in herds with their inner tubes and floats carrying the beer.
Title: Re: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: NancyP on July 21, 2016, 07:25:43 pm
I call them bottom-scrapers. Get out of the canoe or kayak, lift it over the rocks, set it down on the other side in deep enough water. Most people don't bother - that's why the local canoe liveries use aluminum canoes, which are darn near indestructible. Get a dent? Hammer it out. The only way to kill an aluminum canoe is to have it fall off the truck and then get run over by a semi.
Title: Re: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: stamper on July 22, 2016, 06:37:59 am
I don't think the image works? There is flaring top right and generally speaking a little overexposed. No real focal point. :(
Title: Re: Look & Tremble Rapids
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 22, 2016, 10:21:45 am
it's a 231 second exposure in a rising sun, there's going to be some light flare and I do not think it detracts as much as it provides a relative light source. Each to his own...the rapids, such as they are, are the focal point... I have to disagree with you on this one, Stamper. It's not a stunning shot, but it is exposed well, framed well, and quite a foray for me away from birds...damn, I'm tired of birds. :-)