Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: philbaum on July 20, 2016, 01:48:00 pm
-
I bought a Neiko HVLP spray gun at Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9OPLEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I plan to use it with an existing compressor to spray water-based polyurethane finishes on Epson printed canvas for some WR protection.
So some of the threads on here, from Bill T in particular, talk about putting on 3 thin coats about 15 min.apart. Questions I have:
1. Does one completely disassemble and clean the spray gun? I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it looks doable. I assume one cleans it after use by spraying water through it. Is it also necessary to take it apart to clean out all the passages each time?
Also, how does one clean it between each thin coat? These water based polyurethanes dry in as little as 30 min, so i assume one should flush the gun between coats?
I'm a complete newbie at spraying, but for $48, its not a big deal to me if it dies. Just wanted to give it a try - lost too many canvases to brushing and roller problems.
Any advice on the spraying will be appreciated. Already learned a lot from reading other threads in this forum - thank you all very much!!!
-
wrap a wet cloth over the beak.
jim
-
Thanks Jim, that sounds easy and effective.
Phil
-
I bought a Neiko HVLP spray gun at Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9OPLEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I plan to use it with an existing compressor to spray water-based polyurethane finishes on Epson printed canvas for some WR protection.
So some of the threads on here, from Bill T in particular, talk about putting on 3 thin coats about 15 min.apart. Questions I have:
1. Does one completely disassemble and clean the spray gun? I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it looks doable. I assume one cleans it after use by spraying water through it. Is it also necessary to take it apart to clean out all the passages each time?
Also, how does one clean it between each thin coat? These water based polyurethanes dry in as little as 30 min, so i assume one should flush the gun between coats?
I'm a complete newbie at spraying, but for $48, its not a big deal to me if it dies. Just wanted to give it a try - lost too many canvases to brushing and roller problems.
Any advice on the spraying will be appreciated. Already learned a lot from reading other threads in this forum - thank you all very much!!!
Flush the gun and of coating in a sink including the coating holder, remove and scrub the tip with a toothbrush and water with a small amount of detergent, rinse. you want to make sure there are no remnants of coating left, then fill the gun with distilled water and flush the internal channel by connecting and running it for a minute or two. Storing it with a little bit of distilled water and like the previous poster said a damp cloth over the tip. Some people actually store the tip off of the gun in a separate container under distilled water. I would think just keeping the gun as clean as you can free of the coating solution is best.
-
Thanks Michael, great information!!!