Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: John Koerner on July 19, 2016, 01:03:39 am

Title: Yosemite National Park
Post by: John Koerner on July 19, 2016, 01:03:39 am
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001560.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/672/1560/medium)

The Tunnel View
Nikon D810 | Nikkor 15mm f/3.5 AI-S



(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001561.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1561/medium)

Mule Deer
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm)



(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001563.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1563/medium)

The Raven
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm)



(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001567.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/1/1567/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm)



(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001568.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1568/medium)

Robin Redbreast
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm)



(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001569.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/1/1569/medium)

A Cute Squirrel :D
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm)


Recent trip to Yosemite ... these were the highlights in an otherwise totally-overcrowded weekend :o

Jack
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: MattBurt on July 19, 2016, 01:14:56 am
Nice set. I particularly like the ravens. So much good detail in those black feathers.
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: Sean H on July 19, 2016, 08:54:39 am
Hi John, you've captured the sheer magnificence of the park with the first shot. I like the deer. It was aware of you but you managed to shoot before it went away. The "fur" on the antlers is interesting. You are becoming quite a bird specialist! The light, presumably from a leaf, reflected in the squirrel's eye is what makes it interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: John Koerner on July 19, 2016, 11:38:10 am
Nice set. I particularly like the ravens. So much good detail in those black feathers.

Thanks, Matt.

The ravens were my favorite subjects of the trip as well. I probably took 70 photos of them alone.

They were almost human-like in their behaviors as a couple, each taking turns "talking" to each other, watching each other's back, mirroring each other's behaviors. They are truly interesting creatures, reputed to be among the most intelligent of birds, if not the most intelligent. Here are a few more images depicting what I observed:


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001571.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1571/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001573.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1573/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001572.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1572/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


Fascinating to watch.

Jack
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: John Koerner on July 19, 2016, 11:44:58 am
Hi John, you've captured the sheer magnificence of the park with the first shot. I like the deer. It was aware of you but you managed to shoot before it went away. The "fur" on the antlers is interesting.

Thank you, Sean.

I agree: the textured "fur" on the deer's antlers enhanced the presentation.



You are becoming quite a bird specialist! The light, presumably from a leaf, reflected in the squirrel's eye is what makes it interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Not a specialist, yet, lol, but very interested in developing into one :)

I think composing so many butterfly shots over the years as a macro shooter prepped me for bird shots ... it just takes bigger glass to capture the birds :D

With the squirrel shot, I think I had the SB-700 AF Speedlight on for that one, as it was in a shaded area and I needed the extra light.

Here is another wild bird I was able to get (from very far away, thanks to the reach of the extender).


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001574.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1574/medium)

Common Merganser
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)

I wish I would have been able to get closer, but the added environment in the image is kinda nice, too.

Jack
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: Colorado David on July 19, 2016, 11:52:40 am
The "fur" on the antlers is interesting.

Velvet.
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: MattBurt on July 19, 2016, 12:39:33 pm
Thanks, Matt.

The ravens were my favorite subjects of the trip as well. I probably took 70 photos of them alone.

They were almost human-like in their behaviors as a couple, each taking turns "talking" to each other, watching each other's back, mirroring each other's behaviors. They are truly interesting creatures, reputed to be among the most intelligent of birds, if not the most intelligent. Here are a few more images depicting what I observed:


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001571.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1571/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001573.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1573/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001572.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/JohnKoerner/695/1572/medium)

The Ravens
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)


Fascinating to watch.

Jack

I also have a fondness for Ravens and we have a lot of them around here. I like to watch them and they seem to notice me notice them, which makes me think they are reasonably intelligent. My wife (who is 25% Apache) says they are my spirit animal. I'm not sure if I'd go that far but I do feel a connection to them somehow. :)
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: John Koerner on July 19, 2016, 01:27:50 pm
I also have a fondness for Ravens and we have a lot of them around here. I like to watch them and they seem to notice me notice them, which makes me think they are reasonably intelligent. My wife (who is 25% Apache) says they are my spirit animal. I'm not sure if I'd go that far but I do feel a connection to them somehow. :)

If you have a fondness for them, and feel a connection with them "in spirit," then maybe your wife is right :)
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: MattBurt on July 19, 2016, 01:29:21 pm
If you have a fondness for them, and feel a connection with them "in spirit," then maybe your wife is right :)

She often is! ;)
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: BAB on July 19, 2016, 09:24:07 pm
I see someone turned off the water already
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: Sean H on July 19, 2016, 10:39:17 pm
Here is another wild bird I was able to get (from very far away, thanks to the reach of the extender).

What adds to the composition of the scene with the bird is its size relative to the rocks. It might also be interesting to try a conversion to B&W for that shot; if you have the time. I am not sure how it would turn out. I remember your macro shots; you must have a lot of patience. How long were you able to take photos of the deer? Did it run away eventually? I ask because in the picture it looks alert. (BTW, thanks David for reminding me of the correct term - velvet it is)

Really great work!

Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Yosemite National Park
Post by: John Koerner on July 21, 2016, 05:29:17 pm
What adds to the composition of the scene with the bird is its size relative to the rocks. It might also be interesting to try a conversion to B&W for that shot; if you have the time. I am not sure how it would turn out. I remember your macro shots; you must have a lot of patience. How long were you able to take photos of the deer? Did it run away eventually? I ask because in the picture it looks alert. (BTW, thanks David for reminding me of the correct term - velvet it is)

Really great work!

Thanks for sharing.

I got maybe 5 shots of the deer, but only 1 was clear, before it took off ...

As for the bird, I am not much of a B&W fan, especially for nature photography. The species' coloration is part of the story, part of the way in which to ID them.

I do see what you're saying, in that the rocks look like they would take B&W rendering nicely ... but the bird is the subject and would become "lifeless" with all the color sucked out (IMO).

Just not my thing, for wildlife.