Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on July 17, 2016, 04:45:28 pm
-
Crater lake is sort of a mythical place. It's like Yosemite in a way because as you come to the rim for the first time you realize something powerful once happened here. This place has natural history which includes sheer volcanic force and power. Wizard island, a volcanic cinder cone adorns the caldera as a cute reminder of this force. Mount Mazama a large stratovolcano erupted violently circa 7,700 years ago forming this beautiful place.
The winters here are cold, and there was still snow here in July which I found to be fairly incredible. I never really thought of the place as a winter mountain, but then it is fairly high up in the cascade mountains. This was shot in the dead of night, just before twilights approach, and was a complex shot.
It's a two shot blend both taken on the d810 at 15mm. The first shot was focus stacked on the foreground and was shot at ISO2450, f3.2 for 460 seconds, while the second was focused on infinity at ISO6400, f2.8 for 20 seconds. The two shots were then blended together in Photoshop to include the sky from the shorter exposure, and the foreground from the longer exposure. I was shooting nearly blind here, composing was very difficult and required shining a bright light on the foreground for both focusing and framing. The lack of moonlight makes the stars quite bright, but takes away foreground detail and obviously complicates shooting.
-
I was shooting nearly blind here, composing was very difficult and required shining a bright light on the foreground for both focusing and framing.
Well worth the effort, though. Superb image. Glad it was you freezing your $%&& off, and not me.
Agreed. It is a magical place, although I've never been there at night.
-
Nice work!
-
A great photograph
-
Very good. I like the colour combo.
& it looks cold.
-
More than worth the effort.
-
Good one. I felt the same way after viewing Mt St. Helens after the eruption.
-
Nicely done! I hope you feel it was worth the effort, it's a beautiful image.
I run into snow around here (Central Rockies, Colorado) all times of year and find it refreshing in the heat of the summer!
-
Spectacular!
-
Thanks for the praise everyone. And about the effort... can't even tell you how tedious it is sitting here clicking the spot removal tool on the image maybe some 300+ times. I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't use 370+ seconds when maybe 100 seconds will do. I darkened the heck out of the foreground so it would match... When you open the shutter this long it creates all these blown pixels (and de-speckle didn't do jack for me...) in addition to making night look like day. But I do have a really interesting edit of this where the star trails are added to the sky ending in points... I was half tempted to post it just to show off the idea, but the milky way kind of ruins it a bit. (never thought I'd say that)...
-
A splendid photo; it was worth the effort as others have noted. Thanks for the advice about timing.
Thanks for the praise everyone. And about the effort... can't even tell you how tedious it is sitting here clicking the spot removal tool on the image maybe some 300+ times. I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't use 370+ seconds when maybe 100 seconds will do. I darkened the heck out of the foreground so it would match... When you open the shutter this long it creates all these blown pixels (and de-speckle didn't do jack for me...) in addition to making night look like day. But I do have a really interesting edit of this where the star trails are added to the sky ending in points... I was half tempted to post it just to show off the idea, but the milky way kind of ruins it a bit. (never thought I'd say that)...