Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 13, 2016, 12:28:01 pm

Title: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 13, 2016, 12:28:01 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 13, 2016, 01:35:50 pm
Go back & shoot it again, this time with a Lee Big Stopper & an exposure of a couple of minutes or so, then do a moody black & white conversion  ;)

I quite like the almost abstract nature of it & the sense of symmetry.
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: pegelli on July 13, 2016, 01:53:06 pm
Great spot and capture. However to me it feels too much foreground and abruptly truncated at the top, but I don't know if a different framing was in the cards.
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: luxborealis on July 17, 2016, 06:12:48 am
Great photo, Jeremy. I like how the wide aspect ratio matches the long, narrow "slit" through which the water pours. In fact, by reducing some of the unecessary foreground and cropping the bottom of the slightly warm circle of light in the top middle, the concept could be strengthened.

Yes, you could go back and shoot it with a longer exposure for a different effect, I think the image is a strong one already due to the textures you've captured. It's a very tactile photograph. Nicely done.

BTW, if you are tempted to go back in winter, let me know and I'll tag along!
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 17, 2016, 06:21:43 am
BTW, if you are tempted to go back in winter, let me know and I'll tag along!

His photos are certainly tempting me to think about a winter visit
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: stamper on July 17, 2016, 08:28:39 am
I agree about the foreground and a crop. The image as presented is very nice and the suggestion to use a ND filter is worthwhile as well as a B&W rendering.
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 17, 2016, 08:48:28 am
Just to point out that my suggestion that he go back & shot it again, was tongue-in-cheek. Everybody & his brother are shooting waterfalls with Big Stoppers & then offering B&W conversions. Much as I like such things, it's actually nice to see something that isn't that.
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 17, 2016, 09:06:54 am
I think he'd need a longer exposure than two minutes to give the ice time to sag sufficiently to get the required "milky" blur of the canonic waterfall pic.
Perhaps an exposure of a month or two would get the effect you want, Bill.

Probably not hand-held.   :D
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: RSL on July 17, 2016, 10:35:12 am
Jeremy, pretty soon we're going to have to start calling you "The Ice Man."
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 17, 2016, 11:15:24 am
Jeremy, pretty soon we're going to have to start calling you "The Ice Man."

Has anyone seen Jeremy & Albert Collins in the same room at the same time? 'Nuff said.
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 18, 2016, 02:29:37 pm
Great photo, Jeremy. I like how the wide aspect ratio matches the long, narrow "slit" through which the water pours. In fact, by reducing some of the unecessary foreground and cropping the bottom of the slightly warm circle of light in the top middle, the concept could be strengthened.

Yes, you could go back and shoot it with a longer exposure for a different effect, I think the image is a strong one already due to the textures you've captured. It's a very tactile photograph. Nicely done.

BTW, if you are tempted to go back in winter, let me know and I'll tag along!

Thanks, Terry (and everyone else who's commented). You may well be right about the foreground: I'll see how it works out.

I did take a couple of shots with longer exposures, 0.3 and 0.6 seconds. The problem is that it was a hell of a windy day and longer exposures introduced general blur while actually not adding much movement to the water: I prefer this one.

The idea of your tagging along with me is absurd! It would be the other way round.

Jeremy
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 18, 2016, 02:31:07 pm
Jeremy, pretty soon we're going to have to start calling you "The Ice Man."

Discovered! That's me on the left.

Jeremy
Title: Re: kirkjufellsfoss
Post by: RSL on July 19, 2016, 09:11:14 am
I've always wondered what you really looked like, Jeremy.