Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on July 11, 2016, 04:15:48 pm

Title: End of the Day
Post by: seamus finn on July 11, 2016, 04:15:48 pm
-

Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 11, 2016, 04:19:44 pm
That is a very moving and powerful image.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Rob C on July 11, 2016, 05:04:30 pm
And to make it better, doesn't even feel in the slightest bit intrusive, over which line it could so easily have slipped.

Very good stuff, Seamus.

Rob
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: GrahamBy on July 11, 2016, 05:09:11 pm
Bravo
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: RSL on July 11, 2016, 06:17:06 pm
Beautiful Seamus. Bravo for sure!
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 11, 2016, 06:41:07 pm
That is a very moving and powerful image.

+1

However, since it is in the Critique section, let me suggest three things: 1. convert to b&w for stronger impact  2. tame the highlights in the background 3. pull the lady's face out of the shadows (a bit).
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 11, 2016, 08:49:12 pm
+1

However, since it is in the Critique section, let me suggest three things: 1. convert to b&w for stronger impact  2. tame the highlights in the background 3. pull the lady's face out of the shadows (a bit).
How I hate to agree with (i.e., think like) Slobodan, since I prefer not to think at all. However, I think his suggestions are good ones, all three of them.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: drmike on July 12, 2016, 04:03:58 am
However, since it is in the Critique section, let me suggest three things: 1. convert to b&w for stronger impact  2. tame the highlights in the background 3. pull the lady's face out of the shadows (a bit).

I agree with Slobodan about the PP but I'm sorry I don't see a powerful image. I see a lady sitting thinking 'WTF am I cooking for supper tonight?'

But I am a miserable old shit.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Rob C on July 12, 2016, 05:22:34 am
I agree with Slobodan about the PP but I'm sorry I don't see a powerful image. I see a lady sitting thinking 'WTF am I cooking for supper tonight?'

But I am a miserable old shit.


Callow youth!

At that age, such questions are of the utmost importance; they can be the only question you ask yourself some days! Trust me.
And it doesn't follow automaticlly that the answer can be an affordable one.

Rob C
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: seamus finn on July 12, 2016, 06:16:03 am

I think I still like the colour one. Thanks for the advice.

Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: brandtb on July 12, 2016, 08:32:35 am
Color is fantastic, the second workup with shadows up(?) and highlights pulled down is much better - although cutting off the bottom part of image and the lower details of her wheelchair takes away a good deal of the "story's" extraordinary/immediate impact seen in first crop
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Bob_B on July 12, 2016, 08:33:03 am
+1 for the color version, but either way this is a very evocative and powerful photo. Congrats.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 12, 2016, 08:54:15 am
I like both new versions for processing, but I also prefer the original cropping, with the wheelchair.
Ultimately, it's your choice, your photo, a great one either way.

Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Rob C on July 12, 2016, 10:08:01 am
Seamus, if you crop again (at least if you admit to that sin) I'm going to snitch to the Mods! If you crop in private, on the other hand, I am not in the least distressed, for we all are born of sin and might as well make the most of it.

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: RSL on July 12, 2016, 10:12:15 am
I think I still like the colour one. Thanks for the advice.

I prefer the color one too. Though I hate to admit I'd do something like that, I'd be tempted to use Photoshop to change the blue to some other more subdued color.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: seamus finn on July 12, 2016, 12:03:11 pm
OK. I'm going with the original version showing the wheelchair, plus the suggested colour adjustments. Thanks everybody for your input and compliments. Much appreciated. 
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Mjean on July 13, 2016, 11:24:09 am
Wonderful shot, full of emotion!  I also prefer the colour one.
Title: Re: End of the Day
Post by: Mjean on July 13, 2016, 11:25:36 am
Wonderful shot, powerful emotion! I also prefer the colour one.