Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: John Koerner on July 10, 2016, 08:26:06 pm

Title: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 10, 2016, 08:26:06 pm
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001541_large.jpg)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001544_large.jpg)


(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001543_large.jpg)

All shots taken w 2x TC III @ 900mm, 1/100, f/8, ISO 1000 (except the first, which was 1/80).

Never had the ability to reach birds before ... and it's kinda cool :D

Believe this is a young Cooper's Hawk ...

Jack
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: churly on July 11, 2016, 12:28:09 am
Nice shots.  Looks like a Sharpshin hawk to me.
Best,  Chuck
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 11, 2016, 12:39:14 pm
Thanks, Chuck.

I have got mixed opines back on this one ... have to develop my bird knowledge, so thanks for the help!

(Just bought several field guides ...)
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: framah on July 11, 2016, 02:36:48 pm
Fantastic Dinosaur photos!!!!!!
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on July 11, 2016, 03:30:59 pm
 Hiya John!! Great shots there, I did have a Cooper's Hawk that was stalking my backyard feeders some years back. It got  to the point that I stopped feeding for a bit because I was finding too many circular piles of feathers and fluff on the grass. I also think it's a Coop but I would not argue with someone who does know. BTW I thought you were in Fla. when did you move?


Kevin in CT
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 11, 2016, 04:10:45 pm
Fantastic Dinosaur photos!!!!!!

Thanks ... I think I get it :D
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 11, 2016, 04:19:56 pm
Hiya John!! Great shots there, I did have a Cooper's Hawk that was stalking my backyard feeders some years back. It got  to the point that I stopped feeding for a bit because I was finding too many circular piles of feathers and fluff on the grass. I also think it's a Coop but I would not argue with someone who does know.

Thanks Kevin!

Yeah, they are indeed predatory.

Its proximity to humans (this one) makes me think it's a Cooper's as well (literature suggests the Sharp-Shinned avoids human exposure, and this one was pretty close to a common area).

Other differences include skinny legs, square-tailed, and small head (Sharp-Shinned) ... whereas the Cooper's has a rounded tail and comparatively bigger head. (Literature suggests all these can vary and be subject to interpretation though :-\)

Would never argue with an expert but am grateful for any suggestions (may post other angles as time permits).



BTW I thought you were in Fla. when did you move?
Kevin in CT

I moved in 4/2014, one for a great career opportunity, another to be close to my elderly folks (dad turns 89 this year). Instead of being 2700 miles away, I am now 3 miles away, in case they need me.

Stayed on the down-low the first year I came back (settling-in, dealing with issues, dumping old gear, etc.).

Started re-building my gear in April and am now ready to rock 8)

Planned to go to Havasu Falls a couple weeks ago, but couldn't make it out there :(

Am slated to go to Yosemite this weekend and hope to do some birding and get some nice North American frontier/mammal shots as well.

They provide a really nice Bird Checklist, so we'll see how it goes: https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/upload/yosebirdchecklist.pdf

Cheers.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: NancyP on July 11, 2016, 07:58:37 pm
Lovely! That is, if you aren't "lunch".
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 11, 2016, 09:13:35 pm
Lovely! That is, if you aren't "lunch".

Not lunch--just an admirer :)
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Colorado David on July 11, 2016, 11:38:33 pm
Nice.  The first shot is the best.  Tack sharp eye with good catch light.  Well done.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 12, 2016, 04:39:36 am
Nice shots.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 11:39:58 am
Nice.  The first shot is the best.  Tack sharp eye with good catch light.  Well done.

Thanks David.

It's funny how the light can change is just a few moments ... I agree the color in the first was best.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 11:45:31 am
Nice shots.

Thanks Paulo.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on July 12, 2016, 01:51:24 pm
 John, here's a couple for 2004 or so in my backyard


This is what I believe is a cooper's Hawk

(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/163654015.jpg)

And this is perhaps a nest mate fieldstripping it's dinner

(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/163662502/large.jpg)

Kevin in CT
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Arlen on July 12, 2016, 02:18:25 pm
All are very nice, John. By a small margin I'm partial to the second one for its overall effect.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 06:07:31 pm
Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

___


Arlen;

I agree that #2 is a bit cleaner and more contrasty.

I don't believe it has the same dynamic lighting though.

It is cleaner and more toned-down, but I think the first one "pops" a bit more.

However, in #1 he appears to be looking at "me" ... where he seems zeroed-in on prey in #2 :)

Thanks for commenting,

Jack
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: MattBurt on July 12, 2016, 06:14:40 pm
Nice photos! Such interesting animals.

A few years ago I heard a commotion outside my window and looked out to find this drama unfolding about a foot away from it.
Sharpshin hawk is what I came up with for it too.

(https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8044/8436269135_af294f31ca_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/dRu5U8)IMGP8895 (https://flic.kr/p/dRu5U8) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

(https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8517/8437568884_87b86773ac_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/dRAKgA)IMGP9099 (https://flic.kr/p/dRAKgA) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 06:53:10 pm
Wow, that first shot is brutal ... starling screaming in agony as he is ripped apart. Tremendous drama!
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: MattBurt on July 12, 2016, 06:59:03 pm
Wow, that first shot is brutal ... starling screaming in agony as he is ripped apart. Tremendous drama!

Yours are much more pleasant to look at! It was a truly brutal scene and I was so close too.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 07:49:06 pm
Yours are much more pleasant to look at! It was a truly brutal scene and I was so close too.

Mine shows the fine colors and stately pose, but yours shows what raptors are really about.

People don't realize that to be killed by a raptor is possibly one of the most horrible ways to go, from a prey item's point of view: held-down with razor-sharp talons impaling/pinning you motionless whilst pieces of you are casually-plucked from your body. Just brutal. And great captures of it :-X
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Brookie on July 12, 2016, 09:14:06 pm
From what I've read, Coopers and Sarp Shinned are pretty hard to tell apart particularly because the larger female and smaller male blurs the size difference as a discriminator. Yesterday a Coopers (pretty sure) was chasing a sparrow through my front yard.  Pretty amazing display of flying maneuverability!  They both flew along the side of the house going around a bay window - I just happened to be standing at the window at the right time. Wish I'd had my camera, but honestly it was all too fast and close to track. LOL!!!
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 12, 2016, 11:35:49 pm
From what I've read, Coopers and Sarp Shinned are pretty hard to tell apart particularly because the larger female and smaller male blurs the size difference as a discriminator. Yesterday a Coopers (pretty sure) was chasing a sparrow through my front yard.  Pretty amazing display of flying maneuverability!  They both flew along the side of the house going around a bay window - I just happened to be standing at the window at the right time. Wish I'd had my camera, but honestly it was all too fast and close to track. LOL!!!

 :D
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: Sean H on July 13, 2016, 01:02:17 pm
As always, great shots John. I could see details in their feathers. Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: First Falcon Shots
Post by: John Koerner on July 13, 2016, 02:07:29 pm
As always, great shots John. I could see details in their feathers. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Shaun.

I am delighted at the fine detail I am able to retain with the Nikon 2x TC III ... it's just opened up a whole other world for me, photographically.

I have just been bitten by the "bird photography" bug ;D

Hope to be able to contribute more photos,

Jack