Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on July 10, 2016, 03:19:07 pm

Title: Long Gone
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 10, 2016, 03:19:07 pm
Any interest? C&C?
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 10, 2016, 04:03:12 pm
It's easy to imagine that in its heyday, there must have been grand dinner parties and other social events here.
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: francois on July 11, 2016, 10:03:48 am
It's easy to imagine that in its heyday, there must have been grand dinner parties and other social events here.
It must have been an elegant building, back in its days.
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 11, 2016, 11:30:57 am
It must have been an elegant building, back in its days.
Every small Southern town in those days had it's ONE family. This house sits on the highest ground, on the main street, of this town. So yes, this is where that family held their position. The view I shot is the view you would see if you were a common person walking down on the street.
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: drmike on July 12, 2016, 04:27:13 am
But I don't know it's unique, you haven't shown me that and in truth I didn't realise it was unique and positioned as you describe. I have no idea how you could convey all that in a single shot but for a Brit you need to give me more information, which of course you could as part of a set which I think is your goal.
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: francois on July 12, 2016, 06:03:13 am
Every small Southern town in those days had it's ONE family. This house sits on the highest ground, on the main street, of this town. So yes, this is where that family held their position. The view I shot is the view you would see if you were a common person walking down on the street.

Thanks for "in context" explanation. I like it a lot!
Title: Re: Long Gone
Post by: GrahamBy on July 12, 2016, 10:23:01 am
My non-photographic interest is piqued: how does this happen? Why does a house like this get abandoned rather than sold? Surely in the land of The Efficient Market Hypothesis, the price would decline until a buyer was found? Or have land values fallen to such an extent that it is not viable even to demolish and build a pizzeria?