Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 10, 2016, 11:00:21 am

Title: hraunfossar
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 10, 2016, 11:00:21 am
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 10, 2016, 12:30:57 pm
You did something different with it. Congrats!
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 10, 2016, 01:25:53 pm
Very nice one!
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: stamper on July 11, 2016, 03:22:10 am
It is different and it definitely works.
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: francois on July 11, 2016, 09:29:50 am
Yes, it work very well and is harmonious!
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: luxborealis on July 17, 2016, 06:25:35 am
Is it possible for a photograph to be too tactile?

It seems over-processed, contrasty, and to me, it's getting in the way of my enjoyment of it. But hey, that's only me, as other equally critical members seem to like it the way it is, so, perhaps I'm missing something.
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: stamper on July 17, 2016, 08:17:49 am
Is it possible for a photograph to be too tactile?

It seems over-processed, contrasty, and to me, it's getting in the way of my enjoyment of it. But hey, that's only me, as other equally critical members seem to like it the way it is, so, perhaps I'm missing something.

That is the way Kikashi presented it and I wouldn't fault it. There isn't anything technically wrong with it imo and I respect his rendering intent. It is subjective!
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: PeterAit on July 17, 2016, 10:36:07 am
Comments?

Jeremy

It's a lovely scene and composition, not just one thundering fall but a bunch of smaller, more interesting cascades. Yet, I find the "cotton water" effect to be a real turn-off. Cotton water says to me "calendars and postcards" and I find it devoid of aesthetic interest. I like to use a shutter of 1/100 to 1/250 to get a sense of motion while preserving some of the structure of the water.
Title: Re: hraunfossar
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 18, 2016, 02:26:54 pm
Thanks, all.

Terry, it's a pretty contrasty place: black or very dark rocks and white snow and water. I often push the contrast sliders in SFX Pro, but on this occasion very little was necessary.

Jeremy