Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on July 09, 2016, 10:07:31 am
-
I was trying out my new J5 and getting used to the articulating touch screen LCD display. I also did some comparisons of IQ with the Nikkor 70-200 and the "stock" 10-30. Anyway, this is one of my favorites from that series and thought I would submit it for C&C.
For those of you unfamiliar with these spectacular cactus flowers, this is what it looks like just after it has fully opened. It opened in the evening, the shot was taken early the next morning, and the flower was closing and withering by the afternoon. Ephemeral. Like us.
Sorry if you were deceived by the title into thinking this was going to be more interesting ;)
Nikon 1 J5, Nikkor 10-30 zoom at 13 mm, 1/400 sec, f/5.6, ISO 160
-
Nice "porn," beautifully executed. ;)
-
It is a nice shot. Hope you notice the ghosting at the very top. Perhaps it is over-sharpened. You should be able to redo this quite easily.
JR
-
David - really great colors...I would look at it with some more room at top, another 1/8th or so, and a fraction more on either side...I think it needs a little more room around the blossom /B
-
It's always easy to second guess... but as in the case of human porn, some context around the genitalia might add interest and, umm, emotional context. Enough to see more clearly that it is sitting atop a cactus, and something to give some scale.
What is visible is certainly impressive, however :)
-
It's always easy to second guess... but as in the case of human porn, some context around the genitalia might add interest and, umm, emotional context. Enough to see more clearly that it is sitting atop a cactus, and something to give some scale.
What is visible is certainly impressive, however :)
Thanks, Graham. It is part of a small series in which I fully explore the "open petals" perspective ;) As size matters, the blossom is about 5 inches across and about 8 inches stem to stamen. In one of the other shots, there is a small bee inside...
-
Nice!
-
Nice "porn," beautifully executed. ;)
+1