Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on July 08, 2016, 10:29:41 am

Title: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: PeterAit on July 08, 2016, 10:29:41 am
One of my favorite photos from Iceland, but I am torn between the color version and the monochrome - and the difference is certainly subtle. I would value opinions.
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 08, 2016, 10:37:46 am
It's damned near monochrome anyway, and my preference is usually for B&W, so you can probably guess my view on this.
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: pegelli on July 08, 2016, 10:38:56 am
Colour for me, the slight colour  contrast between the greenish rocks and the blueish water add something extra.

Great picture btw! Just the right exposure time to get movement in the water without making it milky.
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: RSL on July 08, 2016, 10:48:11 am
What color?
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 08, 2016, 12:07:28 pm
They are both excellent. Personally, I would probably stick with the monochrome, as that is what I do most often.
But I think the faint hint of color does add a bit, so I'd pick that one, in isolation at least.

If you were exhibiting it with other images, I would let the context determine which to show: The B&W one if it is in among B&W shots, otherwise the color version.
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: Zorki5 on July 08, 2016, 12:17:52 pm
IMHO color version is monochrome enough already...
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: RSL on July 08, 2016, 12:47:00 pm
Well the water's very well done. But there it is: some water. Maybe a bit of context would help. I understand that those who've been there are happy to be reminded what water looks like, but for those of us who haven't it's a real so what?.
Title: Re: Seljalandsfoss - color or monochrome?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 08, 2016, 02:37:57 pm
Despite my penchant for monochrome, I think the touch of colour improves it; but I'm afraid I agree with Russ, in that it's not a terribly interesting shot either way. Pleasant, but not interesting.

Jeremy