Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on July 07, 2016, 09:05:56 am

Title: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: KMRennie on July 07, 2016, 09:05:56 am
This is a multi shot panorama taken at Lanty's Tarn in Cumbria. The summer has been mostly cold and wet and it had rained as I walked up to this tiny Tarn above Patterdale but the clouds were just parting as I took this shot. I will revisit in the Autumn as the mixture of trees should provide a lot of colour. All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 07, 2016, 10:18:42 am
I am always puzzled when the sky is darker than foreground, and especially its own reflection. In other words, I think the shadows are opened too much.
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 07, 2016, 10:39:21 am
It's a fine, painterly composition. I agree with Slobodan that the lighting feels odd. The tree at top right looks stretched somehow. Is this a stitch?
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: KMRennie on July 07, 2016, 11:10:23 am
This is a 7 shot stitch using a 16mm ff lens. The tree does lean but not as much as shown so I will have a go with Hugin. I have tried to tame the very high contrast light to give it a "summery" feel. Still getting to grips with lightroom but no excuse for a lack of realism.
Ken
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 07, 2016, 12:03:27 pm
Perhaps the unease results from the slight HDR look.  We're not used to seeing such wide dynamic range accurately portrayed.  Skies are frequently overexposed, so when they fall in the upper mid tones, as they do here, they look strange, new. Perhaps a tad more overall luminance in the sky would help.

As for "opening up the shadows too much", I disagree with Slobodan. I love seeing deep into the woods at right.

Whatever. I love this image.  Very painterly, as others have noted.  I feel like I'm standing there.  Tons of lovely detail superbly rendered. I'd love to see a six foot wide print of this. Kudos!
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: Sean H on July 07, 2016, 07:54:35 pm
Peter - I think that you have named the issue - "the slight HDR look" - that has affected people in different ways. The picture does look strange but so interesting. It is almost like a different way of viewing things; and it is beautiful.

Perhaps the unease results from the slight HDR look.  We're not used to seeing such wide dynamic range accurately portrayed.  Skies are frequently overexposed, so when they fall in the upper mid tones, as they do here, they look strange, new. Perhaps a tad more overall luminance in the sky would help.

Whatever. I love this image.  Very painterly, as others have noted.  I feel like I'm standing there.  Tons of lovely detail superbly rendered. I'd love to see a six foot wide print of this. Kudos!
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 08, 2016, 03:42:37 am
I find it "realistic" enough. Sometimes the sun passes through the clouds at an angle such that the cloud/sky reflections in the water foreground are not a 1:1 correspondence. Seems like the clouds were moving fast? The stitching, if the trees were moving in the wind, was probably not easy.

I like the lighter greens very much, luscious.
Title: Re: Summer arrives in Cumbria (at last)
Post by: uppy6101 on July 08, 2016, 11:52:30 am
I agree with most things being said here, it's seems your light is behind the subject and you have tried to make it appear it's behind you,

Shadows aren't a bad thing at all they give the "real" feel to an image.

Lovely work though I know what goes into stitching and it's not the most fun job in the world


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk