Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: James Clark on July 06, 2016, 06:30:01 pm

Title: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: James Clark on July 06, 2016, 06:30:01 pm
Last spring I was trying to get some sunrise shots at the ABQ Balloon Festival.   I wasn't aware that showing up at 430 am (after a 45 minute drive from Santa Fe) would be way too late to get parking, so I turned around and headed back home.  I saw this as the sun was coming up to my east just as I made it back to the outskirts of Santa Fe.  I'm not sure it conveys in this image (I think it does, but I'm not an objective judge), but the moon and Venus rising over the empty high desert really gave weight to the vast negative space, and the hint of color in the not-quite sunrise behind the not-quite mountains really provided a sense of place. 

Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 07, 2016, 04:56:58 am
I like it. It is not a photo for "immediate" appreciation, as it requires some eye wandering.
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: Telecaster on July 07, 2016, 03:56:52 pm
I like it too. Conveys very well what this part of the country is like.

I've been to the balloon festival once, in 1993. It was at the end of a long road trip through New Mexico & Arizona, and I was too burnt (literally as well as figuratively) to properly appreciate it.

-Dave-
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 07, 2016, 04:18:10 pm
Beautiful image. It conveys the mood of the desert dawn.
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: francois on July 08, 2016, 05:53:04 am
Great shot. I agree with Paulo, it takes time to appreciate this image and that's good!
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: stamper on July 08, 2016, 07:58:59 am
I like the image. If it had been mine I would have scaled it upwards in PS so that you can see more of what is on the horizon and cropped a little at the top. My opinion of course and I can see why the others like it as it is.
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: uppy6101 on July 08, 2016, 11:47:31 am
Really like this, the minimalistic approach works well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: James Clark on July 08, 2016, 02:43:40 pm
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the kind words as always, but even moreso when the image is a bit harder to appreciate, as Paolo noted.
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: Sean H on July 08, 2016, 04:23:56 pm
Agree with Paolo and Francois. I found the photo conveyed a relaxed feeling that comes with trying to be awake at that hour! I hope that you get another chance to be at the balloon festival.

Great shot. I agree with Paulo, it takes time to appreciate this image and that's good!
Title: Re: The Moon and Venus over Western Hills
Post by: Arlen on July 08, 2016, 05:24:00 pm
Very nice. And it's a good thing you titled as you did--it stimulates one to keep looking for what is not readily apparent.

(Maybe I'll try that approach sometime with one of mine, where there's really nothing else there.  ;))