Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 06, 2016, 05:23:00 pm

Title: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 06, 2016, 05:23:00 pm
Hello all,

I just posted a review on filters, with Lee, Singh-Ray, Formatt-Hitech and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters compared for neutrality. Perhaps you might find it interesting:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY (https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/07/best-filters-landscape-photography-review.html)

All the best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: KMRennie on July 06, 2016, 05:49:35 pm
Thanks for the post Vieri. Note however an order of magnitude less would be a tenth of the price not a half.
Ken
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 06, 2016, 05:57:31 pm
Thanks for the post Vieri. Note however an order of magnitude less would be a tenth of the price not a half.
Ken

Thanks for pointing that out Ken, much appreciated and fixed it immediately :) Sorry about that!

Glad you enjoyed the write-up, best

Vieri
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 07, 2016, 04:58:29 am
Thanks for the write up.
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: davidgp on July 08, 2016, 04:16:18 am
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Firecrest filters... They look promising, I already have a LEE BigStopper, but the Firecrest equivalent to the little stopper looks interesting...


http://dgpfotografia.com
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: uppy6101 on July 08, 2016, 11:49:39 am
I've got a small sponsorship with hi tech which I'm afraid at current time I don't use a great deal.

My reasoning is I can get better clarity and less issues digital blending.

I know some see this as an issue but the way I look at it I'm doing the same job the filter would but with less glass between the sensor and the subject. Just personally find I get fewer issues and your not stood trying to line up filters constantly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: davidgp on July 09, 2016, 05:02:49 am
I've got a small sponsorship with hi tech which I'm afraid at current time I don't use a great deal.

My reasoning is I can get better clarity and less issues digital blending.

I know some see this as an issue but the way I look at it I'm doing the same job the filter would but with less glass between the sensor and the subject. Just personally find I get fewer issues and your not stood trying to line up filters constantly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also tend to use less and less grads... And blend later with Lightroom HDR or Photoshop in layers... But I still use NDs to get movement... ND and polarizers are always with me


http://dgpfotografia.com
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 12, 2016, 03:45:04 am
Thanks for the write up.

Sure thing Paulo, I am glad if you found it interesting.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Firecrest filters... They look promising, I already have a LEE BigStopper, but the Firecrest equivalent to the little stopper looks interesting...


http://dgpfotografia.com

David, I found out about the Firecrest relatively recently, and I was surprised (given the not-spectacular regular Formatt-Hitech lines) to see how good they are. The Big & Little Stoppers are way less colour neutral than the equivalent Firecrest, I am sure you'll enjoy it.

I've got a small sponsorship with hi tech which I'm afraid at current time I don't use a great deal.

My reasoning is I can get better clarity and less issues digital blending.

I know some see this as an issue but the way I look at it I'm doing the same job the filter would but with less glass between the sensor and the subject. Just personally find I get fewer issues and your not stood trying to line up filters constantly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also tend to use less and less grads... And blend later with Lightroom HDR or Photoshop in layers... But I still use NDs to get movement... ND and polarizers are always with me


http://dgpfotografia.com

I guess to each his own, on the contrary I definitely prefer to get my exposure right in camera with Grad ND filters. My reasoning is that it takes a few seconds to position the filters, while it takes much longer to do digital blending; with long exposures, which I do a lot, digital blending is almost never a viable option; even the slightest camera movement between shots create problem with digital blending, and so does the slightest change in exposure; and so on. With good quality filters, I find the issue of "more glass" between the sensor and subject slightly overrated, even though at times you might get reflections - again, using a good filter holder makes this a non-issue.

Of course, there is no digital equivalent for ND and polarisers, so since I'd have to use these anyway, I don't find much of an hassle to use Grads as well.

As they say, YMMV :D

Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: NancyP on July 12, 2016, 10:23:06 am
I like my Formatt Hitech resin 3 stop reverse grad filter for sunrise / sunset.
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 15, 2016, 06:23:30 pm
I like my Formatt Hitech resin 3 stop reverse grad filter for sunrise / sunset.

Glad to hear that Nancy :D All the best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Mjollnir on July 17, 2016, 07:58:14 pm
I keep hearing about one brand that you didn't test, Breakthrough, and I keep reading about how AMAZING they seem to be, but I've never met a single person who's actually used them.

Great test, but I'd love to see one like yours fleshed out with a Breakthrough for comparison's sake.
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: maddogmurph on July 18, 2016, 02:11:11 am
Hello all,

I just posted a review on filters, with Lee, Singh-Ray, Formatt-Hitech and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters compared for neutrality. Perhaps you might find it interesting:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY (https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/07/best-filters-landscape-photography-review.html)

All the best,

Vieri

I strongly suggest you try filters from "breakthrough photography"

In my recent tests they perform better than any I've ever had.
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on July 18, 2016, 02:56:23 am
I keep hearing about one brand that you didn't test, Breakthrough, and I keep reading about how AMAZING they seem to be, but I've never met a single person who's actually used them.

Great test, but I'd love to see one like yours fleshed out with a Breakthrough for comparison's sake.

I strongly suggest you try filters from "breakthrough photography"

In my recent tests they perform better than any I've ever had.

Guys,

to me breakthrough is a no-go, no matter how good they may be, because:

1. They only make ND and polarisers (no Grad ND that I can see);
2. They don't seem to make square filters, which are fundamental to me for landscape photography.

So, sorry but until they'll start addressing the need of landscape photographers with a complete system they will not be on my radar. Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: stevenfr on July 18, 2016, 03:02:06 am
I was told a month ago that Breakthrough would have a square filter this summer. Give them a email and see when they will be ready.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Best filters for landscape photography
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on August 02, 2016, 04:08:32 am
I was told a month ago that Breakthrough would have a square filter this summer. Give them a email and see when they will be ready.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)

Hello Steven,

thank you for the info - will keep an eye on them  :D The more choice of good gear, the better for us!

best,

Vieri