Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: paulbk on July 05, 2016, 05:10:42 pm

Title: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: paulbk on July 05, 2016, 05:10:42 pm
I'm looking to buy a solid work table to support Canon Pro-1000 printer. No need for table to be too much bigger than printer. Thinking somewhere: 4 ft to 6 ft max. Lower open shelf space would be nice.
Dimensions (footprint): 28.5" x 17"
Weight: 70.5 lb
Ideas or links much appreciated.
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: rdonson on July 05, 2016, 05:34:47 pm
Do you have an IKEA nearby?  Here's one I'm considering for my Epson SC P800.  The shelves might help with storing paper.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60323021/

I'm also considering this one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20325017/
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: paulbk on July 05, 2016, 05:49:31 pm
Perfect! Thanks Ron. I'll look into both.
Life is good at LL.
p
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: graeme on July 05, 2016, 05:56:11 pm
How about a plan chest: perfect for storing paper, prints & ink supplies under your printer?
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: schertz on July 05, 2016, 06:53:42 pm
Do you have an IKEA nearby?  Here's one I'm considering for my Epson SC P800.  The shelves might help with storing paper.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60323021/

I'm also considering this one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20325017/


I have the first one in my kitchen, pretty nice and solid! The wood requires occasional treatment with some oil and/or sanding, so maybe not the best for a printer table (oily surface, dust and needing to move the printer). You could skimp on the upkeep, but the wood might crack or warp in the long-term... YMMV

MS
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: Rand47 on July 05, 2016, 08:44:18 pm
Hi,

I'm using a steel cabinet for my P800 (similar dimensions).

Nice lockable doors, and shelves for spare ink, paper etc.

Can be found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ICCC86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on Amazon.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-wSLgG6f/0/L/i-wSLgG6f-L.jpg)

In my digital darkroom:

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Vk3V4w5/0/L/i-Vk3V4w5-L.jpg)


Rand
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: Wayne Fox on July 05, 2016, 10:01:35 pm
I use some Ikea cabinets similarly, but they might be a little large for a printer that size.

You might look at this one as well....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00289020/
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: BobShaw on July 06, 2016, 01:18:13 am
Whatever you get make sure it is solid. If it is like the 3880 the heads going back and forth will cause a real swing. My first table crashed into the wall on every pass.
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: keithcooper on July 06, 2016, 07:38:38 am
The table that appears in many of my printer reviews is a 'butcher's table' from John Lewis in the UK

(http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/content_images_2/pro-1000/unpacking.jpg)

It's on castors, has a full width drawer and two open shelves below that.

Similar things available from many kitchenware outlets :-)
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: Peter Mellis on July 06, 2016, 02:38:28 pm
Ikea had a line of tables and cabinets called Varde. I have two of the work tables - the top is 65" X 25". Each unit has three drawers and two full length shelves. These are mostly solid wood and very heavy/stable. Don't know if they still sell them, but if they do you need to pick them up with a helper.
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: BradSmith on July 06, 2016, 03:04:59 pm
Four years or so ago, I got two of the Ikea Varde table/cabinet units for my photo workroom.  They were widely discussed here on Lula and other places and were/are a fantastic solution.  But it appears that Ikea no longer produces them.
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on July 07, 2016, 07:06:21 am
I think Brad is correct, I cannot find the Varde line in the current Ikea catalog.  I too bought one of the Varde units and it was just the right size for the Epson 3880.  It has six drawers that can hold boxes of 13x19 paper and is on casters so it can be easily moved around if necessary.  They might have similar units in a different style these days.
Title: Re: Help with Printer Table Suggestions
Post by: Mike Raub on July 08, 2016, 08:15:02 pm
Here's what I got for an Epson 3880:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-TV-Stand-with-Side-Storage-for-TVs-up-to-32-Multiple-Colors/17480002

Seems to work fine and you can't beat the price.