Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: biker on July 05, 2016, 03:10:33 am

Title: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: biker on July 05, 2016, 03:10:33 am
They're coming...
Just wait for the meteor shower that will make us blind and they'll strike!
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 05, 2016, 04:08:37 am
Nice flowers. Also the name of one of my favourite Australian bands:)
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: thierrylegros396 on July 05, 2016, 11:20:04 am
Are they also as toxic as in our country?

White one are very rare in East Belgium.

Thierry
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: Sean H on July 05, 2016, 11:21:22 am
They are beautiful and sharp. What is the real name for these again...? Surprising that there were no bees climbing in and out of them.
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: biker on July 05, 2016, 11:32:14 am
It's Digitalis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis). They're pretty high, some of them over 2.5m (8 ft).

Yeah, they're toxic. We're the same latitude as Belgium so I suppose it'll be about the same.
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: churly on July 05, 2016, 06:59:13 pm
Foxgloves are common around here and we have quite a few in our yard.  You have to ingest a lot to have any prolems. They re-seed readily.  It is also common in Newfoundland to see Monkshood (wolfsbane) in older gardens which is considerably more poisonous.  I don't know but I would expect that's probably true in the UK as well as that is where most of the heritage plants that we have came from.

I got a grin from 'Day of the Triffids' as I remember seeing it in the early 60's when I was pretty young and it left a distinct impression on me. It was not too long after the so called Cuban missile crisis.  I happened to catch it again a couple years ago on an Air Canada flight among the classic movie offerings.  That viewing removed any residual left over from my distant youth.  :)
Chuck
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: John Koerner on July 05, 2016, 11:28:39 pm
They're coming...
Just wait for the meteor shower that will make us blind and they'll strike!

Nice images and clever title :)

Though I wonder if it wouldn't have been more artsy to have taken the same shot at f/1.2-f.4?
Title: Re: The Day of the Triffids
Post by: biker on July 06, 2016, 02:48:25 am
Thanks.

Though I wonder if it wouldn't have been more artsy to have taken the same shot at f/1.2-f.4?

It's f/4.5 @18.5mm (x1.5).
I'm not sure if the shallower DoF would work here. I had already problems to keep both foreground plants sharp. I also wanted to show Triffid "procession", their multitude, their prevalence - not just two nice plants with a bokeh background.