Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Camerajim on July 05, 2016, 02:24:44 am

Title: Live Composites
Post by: Camerajim on July 05, 2016, 02:24:44 am
I posted a Live Composite shot in another thread, which generated some interest in the technique, so here are a few more examples (the last is a light painting example, using a handheld flashlight as the light source).
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: thierrylegros396 on July 05, 2016, 02:53:36 am
The first one is really amazing.

Thierry
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 05, 2016, 04:09:56 am
#1 makes sort of sea sick, still undecided if I like it or not:)
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: francois on July 05, 2016, 06:07:51 am
The first shot is stunning…
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: Camerajim on July 05, 2016, 10:01:32 am
#1 makes sort of sea sick, still undecided if I like it or not:)

As long as it made you feel something, I'm happy.

I didn't want to mention it right off, but that photo won a $1,000 prize in the Brandywine Plein Air competition.
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: Sean H on July 05, 2016, 11:24:52 am
Jim: The award was well-deserved. Thanks for sharing that image; it is fascinating.  Is there some way for the rest of us who don't have your particular brand of camera + associated software to mimic the same technique?

As long as it made you feel something, I'm happy.

I didn't want to mention it right off, but that photo won a $1,000 prize in the Brandywine Plein Air competition.
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: Camerajim on July 05, 2016, 11:36:25 am
Jim: The award was well-deserved. Thanks for sharing that image; it is fascinating.  Is there some way for the rest of us who don't have your particular brand of camera + associated software to mimic the same technique?

You can mimic this with any camera, but it would be tedious. All you have to do is to take a long series of shots, load them into Photoshop as layers, and blend them using "lighten." My Olympus Live Composite images typically use thousands of frames, but you could reduce the number needed by using a longer base exposure.

I expect this sort of in-camera computed photography to become more common. Olympus has been a leader with its hi-resolution, focus stacking and live composite modes, but there's no reason others can't follow suit.
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 05, 2016, 03:35:41 pm
Fascinating results and technique.
I agree: the award was well-deserved.
Title: Re: Live Composites
Post by: John Koerner on July 05, 2016, 10:51:26 pm
Ditto what everyone else said: #1 is unique and captivating.