Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Camerajim on July 04, 2016, 03:33:02 pm
-
A 10-minute, Live Composite exposure (approximately 1,200 frames, blended in-camera).
-
Interesting effect. Natural? Or polarizer + plexi?
-
Interesting effect. Natural? Or polarizer + plexi?
Variable neutral density filter. Which, of course, is also a polarizer. The variable color in the clouds and jet contrails, however, were caused by the changing light of the sunrise, as it progressed during the exposure.
-
Certainly an interesting effect, what was the exposure length?
-
Certainly an interesting effect, what was the exposure length?
The base exposure was 1/2 second, but the total Live Composite exposure was 10 minutes. The Olympus Live Composite mode does a "lighten" blending in-camera, saving only the brighter parts of each subsequent frame. It's great for star trails and light painting at night, but I've mostly used it in daytime with a neutral density filter.
-
Interesting and unusual effect(s) and arising from that technique you describe. It would be interesting to use on star trails. I know that you have not done low-light/night photography but please show us some other samples with this technique (if they are available and if you have the time) from day-time photography. Thanks for sharing.
Sean
-
...please show us some other samples with this technique (if they are available and if you have the times) from day-time photography.
I will post a few in another thread.
-
Not something we see every day...
-
It's a strange effect. I fond the discontinuities in the clouds odd, are they because of the intervals between shots?
-
Not something we see every day...
Yes and worth repeating.
-
It's a strange effect. I fond the discontinuities in the clouds odd, are they because of the intervals between shots?
No. The long clouds are jet contrails, which are discontinuous in reality. Their movement in the wind caused the streaking. The long exposure also shows that these contrails are spinning slowly, something I confirmed with a jet pilot.
There is a very tiny discontinuity between frames of a Live Composite shot, as it uses electronic shutter. You can see gaps in very fast-moving objects, but that's not the case here.
I find this an interesting technique to show something our eyes normally can't experience. The ability to do very long daytime exposures, on the order of tens of minutes, without overexposing the background, can reveal the effects of slow movements in the landscape.