Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Ellis Vener on July 03, 2016, 02:33:44 pm

Title: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 03, 2016, 02:33:44 pm
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 03, 2016, 04:38:30 pm
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Hey, Ellis

If you want a solid lock, the RRS is great. 

However, I usually want the ball head to lock down, but mostly have it just slightly lose so it can be smoothly moved around, but will stay in place when released.

The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points.

The A-S Z1 is probably best, with Markins next.

Others may disagree, but that is my experience.

John
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 03, 2016, 04:59:24 pm
This is literally the only criticism I have ever read or heard about the BH-55.

Hey, Ellis

If you want a solid lock, the RRS is great. 

However, I usually want the ball head to lock down, but mostly have it just slightly lose so it can be smoothly moved around, but will stay in place when released.

The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points.

The A-S Z1 is probably best, with Markins next.

Others may disagree, but that is my experience.

John
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Paul2660 on July 03, 2016, 05:29:15 pm
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

I sure would consider a geared head like the Arca D4. I have the BH-55 but once I tried a geared head I only use the BH-55 for night work.

Paul C
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 03, 2016, 06:00:20 pm
This is literally the only criticism I have ever read or heard about the BH-55.

I'd suggest that you have not researched it over the years....in multiple forums.

Here's one:

"...In real use, I find the RRS BH-55 to slip/stick when making fine adjustments at a tight friction setting while the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Ball Head remains smooth..."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Arca-Swiss-Monoball-Z1-Ballhead-Review.aspx
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 03, 2016, 06:08:15 pm
I sure would consider a geared head like the Arca D4. I have the BH-55 but once I tried a geared head I only use the BH-55 for night work.

Paul C
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have used C1 but find that when I need a rational (double tilt) head with super-fine super-smooth  adjustments combined with granite like steadiness, nothing beats the Foba ASMIA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984126-REG/foba_f_asmia_p_asmia_p_dual_tilting.html
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 03, 2016, 06:16:22 pm
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have used C1 but find that when I need a rational (double tilt) head with super-fine super-smooth  adjustments combined with granite like steadiness, nothing beats the Foba ASMIA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984126-REG/foba_f_asmia_p_asmia_p_dual_tilting.html

Hi John,
Thank you for that. It does a pretty good job of persuading me to stick with my B1 Monoball for my 300 series Gitzo. The RRS BH-55 would be for my 410C Gitzo in place of the FTM head.My b1 is from last run of B1 Monorails and I have long since replaced the original clamp with a RRS PCL-LR panning clamp. I also have the earlier model PCL-1 panning clamps on both the Asmia and the A-S p0.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 03, 2016, 06:21:12 pm
This is literally the only criticism I have ever read or heard about the BH-55.

Another....older, personal(not mine) view...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2780364

"...three best heads are, in NO particular order: Arca Swiss Z1, Markins M10 (and likely M20), and RRS BH-55. Each head has its own unique features and weaknesses..."

"...the BH-55 is the least smooth of the three..."

"...Markins M10: well-built, the smoothest head especially under tension..."

"...Arca Swiss Z1: possibly the best balance of the three. Pretty smooth, closer to the Markins than the BH-55, but still not as smooth as the M10..."
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 03, 2016, 06:25:10 pm
Hi John,
Thank you for that. It does a pretty good job of persuading me to stick with my B1 Monoball for my 300 series Gitzo. The RRS BH-55 would be for my 410C Gitzo in place of the FTM head.My b1 is from last run of B1 Monorails and I have long since replaced the original clamp with a RRS PCL-LR panning clamp. I also have the earlier model PCL-1 panning clamps on both the Asmia and the A-S p0.

All my heads have the RSS lever clamp, which is superior to any other clamp, in my opinion....unless you like screw clamps. 

I think the newer Z1 heads may have a problem replacing the head...not sure...got mine earlier.  Markins, you can get their clamps "loose"...that is no locktite
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on July 04, 2016, 02:06:24 pm
well...I have told of this experience several times in the past few years:

while I was in Nepal in autumn 2010 and had a 500mm F4 (version 1) Canon lens with 5D3 mounted on the RRRS B-55, the ball head became hard to tighten (lock down), and then broke...as in the lens/camera fell off the ballhead (still in the lever clamp). Luckily I caught the lens/camera...When I got back to the USA I called RRS...they told me this was a known problem to them (so why hadn't they said anything to their customers to be aware/on the lookout for this?), and that the glue that holds the ballhead together sometimes weakened and fractured. They would be happy to repair it but since I did not have a receipt, they charged me for the repair and shipping...even though the ballhead looked brand new. (I had owned it for about two years.) To say I was disappointed with them would be an understatement...I will never buy anything new from that company again. Part B - add to that the situation in California where they were supporting the anti-marriage side of the Gay rights vote in California. Was that Proposition 43(?) in California where the owner of RRS was on record using his funds to try and stop the legalization of gay marriage (in the eyes of the government...had nothing to do with church recognized marriage). I would not support that company with my funds...Has he said he is now for marriage equality for everyone? Deborah and I have many gay friends in NY, California - the loss of benefits/rights when a partner dies is substantial. That is why we are saddened by the stance the owner took on the issue. And if you go back in the archives here at LL, this topic was discussed a few times.

I'll suggest an alternative to the BH-55 that is the same and costs half as much: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191772514068?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on July 04, 2016, 02:21:38 pm
Hi, I had some heads…

Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, RRS BH-40, RRS-BH-55 and Arca Swiss D4. The D4 is the clear favourite. The Acratech was a very good head, except that mine did not have a lever type release. I used to mix up the the knob for the QR-release with the knob for pan-action, being near to drop my gear far to many times.

I am not so enthusiastic about the BH-55. It is a good head, but I don't think it is better than a lot of other heads.

Best regards
Erik


someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Mary K on July 05, 2016, 05:46:44 am
I once had the RRS BH-40 and BH-55, but I found that the double drop down notch was a fatal flaw when used for landscape and macro photography.  IMO it is much better to have a single notch that you can keep lined up with the lens, and, in fact, RRS has changed the BH-40 so that is now has a single notch. I expect they will eventually change the BH-55 as well. I love the Arca Swiss D4 for landscape, architecture, product and macro work, and use the RRS gimble head for wildlife and stitching panos.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: E.J. Peiker on July 05, 2016, 05:59:17 am
I used to use the BH-55.  It's an exceptional head but precision alignment is difficult as has already been mentioned in this thread.  I read an article here on LuLa on the KPS-T5 and gave it a try and never looked back.  Here is an article I wrote on that which includes some comparisons to the BH-55:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/KPS%20Research.pdf
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: brianrybolt on July 05, 2016, 07:32:40 am
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.
I switched to a UniqBall about 1.5 yrs. ago and haven't looked back.  It is unique, very sturdy and light in weight.  I think it was reviewed here about a year ago.  Website:  http://www.uniqball.eu/ubh45
Check it out.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: kers on July 05, 2016, 08:31:37 am
I use the BH-40 head from RRS;
Sturdy enough; cheaper and much lighter than the BH-55.
If you do not need to use it with long tele-lenses it will do very well.
Never have had any problem with it during 6 years intensive usage.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 05, 2016, 09:09:26 am
General reply to comments:

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment on this, it has been very helpful in making up my mind not to purchase one at this time.  The two points which pushed me back from the edge  are:

- the repeated comments like this one from John: "The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points."

and Robert's comment about his head (which dates to 2010, which admittedly is a long time ago so things may have changed) about the construction of the head. After reading and re-reading  his comment I am unsure which exact parts he says are glued to together. Twenty five years ago I was using another brand of head made by company whose named starts with J and had two of their heads (the second one was a replacement for the first) fail when the main body of the head separated from the panning base.

For those of you have been suggesting a lighter weight head, thanks for those recommendations but I need something heavier because of the way I sometimes mount my camera.

In general my experience is that Really Right Stuff makes excellent equipment but it is good to hear from other people who have long time field experience with this particular piece of equipment.

Fro those who suggest Markins and desmond products: I won't buy them as the people behind those companies apparently have no scruples when it comes to intellectual property rights  (Desmond copying the BH-55 and Markins (and others) ripping off Arca-Swiss.

So for now I am looking for an Arca-Swiss Z2 with a removable clamp or B2, also with a removable clamp. 
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Miles on July 05, 2016, 09:36:11 am
Ellis, I find it refreshing that you won't deal with companies that lack scruples.  I have owned a BH-55 for a few years now and can report that I am extremely satisfied with the quality for the price.  I can't speak as to whether the others may be smoother or to what degree, but I do sense I am using a reliable high quality product that meets my needs every time I attach a camera.  l also own their gimball set up for large lenses and have a relative who uses one of their tripods which I have examined very closely.  Without hesitation I would place their products among some of the best made for the price.

Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 05, 2016, 10:12:40 am
General reply to comments:

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment on this, it has been very helpful in making up my mind not to purchase one at this time.  The two points which pushed me back from the edge  are:

- the repeated comments like this one from John: "The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points."

and Robert's comment about his head (which dates to 2010, which admittedly is a long time ago so things may have changed) about the construction of the head. After reading and re-reading  his comment I am unsure which exact parts he says are glued to together. Twenty five years ago I was using another brand of head made by company whose named starts with J and had two of their heads (the second one was a replacement for the first) fail when the main body of the head separated from the panning base.

For those of you have been suggesting a lighter weight head, thanks for those recommendations but I need something heavier because of the way I sometimes mount my camera.

In general my experience is that Really Right Stuff makes excellent equipment but it is good to hear from other people who have long time field experience with this particular piece of equipment.

Fro those who suggest Markins and desmond products: I won't buy them as the people behind those companies apparently have no scruples when it comes to intellectual property rights  (Desmond copying the BH-55 and Markins (and others) ripping off Arca-Swiss.

So for now I am looking for an Arca-Swiss Z2 with a removable clamp or B2, also with a removable clamp.

Ellis, you may want to contact Precision Camera to see if they can/will remove the OEM clamp.  I think I vaguely remember that they would do this in the past when A-S when to non-removable clamps.

John

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: jrsforums on July 05, 2016, 10:23:32 am
Ahhh....brain's not so foggy....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8831

"...After a call to the US-based Arca-Swiss Representative, I learned that Arca-Swiss is now designing their heads to feature "non-interchangeable" quick releases. They're using an epoxy/glue to solidify the assembly bolt in place. The only "official" way to replace your clamp (and keep your warranty intact) is to send it to Precision Camera Works in Chicago, IL, the only authorized service center for ARCA-SWISS ballheads in the United States. There is a flat fee of $30.00 for replacement...."
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
Post by: stevesanacore on July 05, 2016, 11:00:26 am
I'd suggest that you have not researched it over the years....in multiple forums.

Here's one:

"...In real use, I find the RRS BH-55 to slip/stick when making fine adjustments at a tight friction setting while the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Ball Head remains smooth..."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Arca-Swiss-Monoball-Z1-Ballhead-Review.aspx

Interesting and disappointed as I would think smoothness is critical for a ball head.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 05, 2016, 11:38:06 am
While doing further research at Rod Klukas' website, specifically http://www.rodklukas.com/resources/Arca_Swiss-Z_Ballheads.pdf I discovered a part I hadn't been aware that Arca-Swiss makes an adapter called the  Svilt, which is used to convert any area-swiss compatible ballhead that is strong enough into a simple gamble mount

Has anyone here used an Svilt? Will I have any issues removing the flip lock clamp and replacing it with an RRS B2 clamp?

Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: degrub on July 05, 2016, 11:43:57 am
Never liked having a long lens with a lot of mass on a mount that elevates the center of mass relative to the pivot. Maybe ok for smaller though.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 05, 2016, 12:29:09 pm
Never liked having a long lens with a lot of mass on a mount that elevates the center of mass relative to the pivot. Maybe ok for smaller though.

My guess is that you never worked with a heavy duty monorail large format camera? No matter which tripod head you choose the mass and center of gravity was always well above the head's plot point.
I have now tried a similar arrangement made of (mostly) RRS components and have no movement issues down to at least 1 second with an EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II on a 5DS.

The head I am using is the Arca-Swiss B1 Monorail fitted with an RRS PC-LR clamp.

The RRS components are , from bottom to top
A CRD Rail (in the PC-LR clamp)
An MPR rail (in the end-clamp of the CRD)
An FAS clamp (on the MPR)
A "Lens Support Pkg, single Quick-Release" (CB-10 camera bar, CB-YS long lens support, and a Sunwayfoto DDT-53 double aligned clamp)

It works well but it is a bit of a "Rube Goldberg"  contraption, and while it has the personal benefit of me not having to buy anything else, I like the idea of having (and having to assemble/disassemble while on location) a one piece unit instead of the CRD+MPR bars.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 05, 2016, 01:03:28 pm
I switched to a UniqBall about 1.5 yrs. ago and haven't looked back.  It is unique, very sturdy and light in weight.  I think it was reviewed here about a year ago.  Website:  http://www.uniqball.eu/ubh45
Check it out.

Brian, do you know if it's possible to get the uniqball with a lever-operated clamp? It seems from the site that it's not.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: brianrybolt on July 09, 2016, 06:06:23 am
Brian, do you know if it's possible to get the uniqball with a lever-operated clamp? It seems from the site that it's not.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
As far as I know, they don't have one.  This hasn't been a problem for me but YMMV.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Herbc on July 09, 2016, 09:25:59 am
If you really have to have a ball head, the Arca is the one.  Had one for decades with no problem on my 8x10 and smaller cameras.  If, however, a geared head is one, I got a Sunway from Alibaba for around 400 bucks, maybe 300, I forget.  It works just as well as the $1000++ Arca D4. 
The problem with Alibaba is that it is in China, takes forever to get delivery.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Harold Clark on July 13, 2016, 09:31:30 pm
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Ellis,

I have used a Markins M10 for over 10 years, still smooth as silk. For your purposes the M20 would probably be more appropriate.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: NancyP on July 14, 2016, 10:49:39 am
The Svilt doesn't seem to have good documentation. It looks like it converts the ball head to a tilt-only (and bottom pan) mode of operation, since the ball head stem is trapped in the 90 degree slot.

I like the AS Z1sp. It is strong and smooth. It ought to last "forever". When I want gimbal operation, I attach a Custom Brackets "Basic" gimbal arm. http://www.custombrackets.com/products/gimbal-series/cb-gimbal-basic.html This makes the combo operate as a side mount gimbal, using the loosened-up pan function of the ball head. The CB clamp is mounted on steel bearings, and the combo gives very smooth tracking of (bird in flight, or whatever).
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: dwswager on July 17, 2016, 10:05:42 am
someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Other than changing size for supported mass differences or carry weight, I don't think you will find another ball head that is worth not carrying the B1.  It might not be the best at every aspect of use, but it is a pretty great package overall and you already know it.  Is there a specific problem with the B1 you are having that you are trying to solve or is this just a gear envy issue?  BTW, I love RRS, been buying from them since before they had a website and own crap loads of plates, brackets, clamps and tripods, but have never felt the need to replace my B1 with an RRS ball head.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Colorado David on July 18, 2016, 04:23:25 pm
I have three of the Kirk ball heads in two sizes.  One of the two large ones is semi-permanently attached to a set of Carbon Gitzo sticks and the other large one is mounted on a half-ball leveling base so I can do a quick trade out with my video heads. They've worked just fine for me.  I've used the Wimberley Side Kick for big lenses and that's worked out just fine.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 18, 2016, 04:35:45 pm
The Svilt doesn't seem to have good documentation. It looks like it converts the ball head to a tilt-only (and bottom pan) mode of operation, since the ball head stem is trapped in the 90 degree slot.



yes exactly: it (and the one I've rigged up with the RRS components I listed turn the heading a unidirectional tilt head. Which is not necessarily a bad thing ( it is exactly what a gimbal mount does) for you are using long lenses that have their own tripod mount.

Additionally another way I have been  using the RRS  component rig I assembled is for architectural work with shorter mount lenses I tilt the camera platform over to level the roll (angle to the horizon), lock it,  and then use the panning function of the PC-LR to set my pitch (fore/aft tilt) angle. This is also is a help with macro work as well.

It is just another way of working and I agree it is not suited for all subjects.
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Theodoros on July 18, 2016, 05:05:58 pm

I would also recommend for one to look at the FOBA Superball Ballo/Balla before he makes any decision on the matter... My "Ballo" is 24 years old, has seen the heaviest on treatment in all shorts of environments and works like if it is in day one...
Title: Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on July 19, 2016, 06:10:58 am
I've owned two, one was a little gritty the first one was smoother.

Not that I don't believe it, but I'm amazed one broke as it feels like it's built like a tank.

IMO

BC
====================
my experience was posted here at LL in May 2012: "We had the BH-55. In the field (Nepal) while a 500mm F4 lens was mounted on it, the knob for lock-down came undone - it simply became loose and then fell out of the socket!...Fortunately one of us caught the lens before it hit the ground."

"When we returned to NYC we contacted RRS - they told us that was a known problem to them. The glue that holds the knob in place can disintegrate...or was not applied correctly in some cases."

"Given their political stance on certain issues in California and the problem we had with their equipment, we do our best to purchase from other manufacturers now."

Deborah Allen and Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Do a google search for: Really Right Stuff Prop 8 California (the anti-gay marriage bill)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/865962@N20/discuss/72157612473243424/
=====================
The original May 2012 thread about ballheads (called, "Arca Swiss Z1 or Markins Q20") is here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=66680.0