Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: luxborealis on July 01, 2016, 05:41:44 pm

Title: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: luxborealis on July 01, 2016, 05:41:44 pm
I'm a bit reticent to post some of my images of Iceland here as we have so many Iceland aficionados. Leading a group of 23 grade 8, 9 and 10 students left me little time and energy to devote to concentrated photography. That being said, I learned quickly how truly photogenic Iceland is; it's hard NOT to make a decent photo.

As I posted previously (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111135), these are all made with a Sony RX10iii, hand-held, processed in LR from raw files. Focal lengths are all converted to 35mm equivalents.

Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 01, 2016, 06:03:00 pm
Excellent work, Terry, as I expected.

I was pleased to note that only one of the four was at more than the 200mm equivalent limit of my RX10i. I'd love to get back to Iceland.
Maybe it's time for me to repeat the 9th grade.   ;)

-Eric
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 01, 2016, 06:20:26 pm
Terry,

Enjoyed your images and looking forward to seeing more. Would love to see some colour in the Landmannalaugar work, even if it is desaturated.
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: churly on July 01, 2016, 06:23:45 pm
Definitely nice shots. 
And major kudos for the energy and ability to engage and lead a group of 8-10 graders on such a trip and still do some fine photography.
Chuck
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: sierraman on July 01, 2016, 08:26:54 pm
Very nice images. And a multitasker to boot!  :)
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 02, 2016, 02:46:46 am
Lovely B&W landscapes
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: thierrylegros396 on July 02, 2016, 04:10:45 am
I like the 2nd because you choose a speed that allows the waterfall to match the basalt rocks.

Thierry
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 02, 2016, 04:11:54 am
As I'd have expected, Terry, you have no reason to feel reticent! I particularly like the fourth.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: biker on July 02, 2016, 02:33:33 pm
Very nice shots, taken with an interesting camera model!
The #2 shutter speed is just fine to make the waterfall look dynamic and natural at the same time.
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on July 02, 2016, 05:46:18 pm
 Nice shots, really like #'s 2&3. The basalt kinda looks like a cross between roofing tiles when viewed from above and stacked cordwood from the side.

Kevin in CT
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Arlen on July 03, 2016, 09:33:17 pm
Beautifully done, Terry. I particularly like 2 and 3; the basalt columns are striking.

A friend of mine recently rented the RX10iii, and is very impressed with it.
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 04, 2016, 05:12:54 am
Nice series, and nice B&W treatment. One wonders where is the entrance that Jules Verne describes:)
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: Sean H on July 04, 2016, 12:56:22 pm
Hello Terry, thank you for sharing. I found the photos stunning. The one with the waterfall was entrancing; I swear that I could almost hear the water in the distance (it is a quite day at home today) because the shutter speed, as others note, was perfect. Thanks for doing a close up of the rocks in the next shot. I liked the last shot of the snow-covered mountains but cannot tell you why because I am at a loss for words. Art has that effect on people. Please do keep sharing your photos with us.

Kind regards,

Sean
Title: Re: Four B&Ws from Iceland
Post by: luxborealis on July 05, 2016, 10:29:43 pm
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to comment on my work. My first inclination was to post some colour shots but my first love is black & white. Iceland is beautifully suited to B&W with the contrasts and textures of the basalt, water, glaciers and lava fields.

Colour is coming up, though, in my next post.