Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: slatchley on June 29, 2016, 09:28:28 pm

Title: Printing on glass plate
Post by: slatchley on June 29, 2016, 09:28:28 pm
I have tried transferring pigment print to glass but can not get it to work. Used Supersauce. Does anyone have a clue how to do this or a company that will do it for me. I want to do orotones and I know Kate breakey does it somehow
Title: Re: Printing on glass plate
Post by: dgberg on June 30, 2016, 05:42:02 am
If it can be done it might be covered in Bonnie Lhotka's book "Digital Alchemy"
The Supersauce transfer to plastic process is covered on page 64 using her transfer film.
Title: Re: Printing on glass plate
Post by: bteifeld on June 30, 2016, 01:22:56 pm
Both "Digital Alchemy" and "Digital Art Studio" document a gelatin-based
transfer process which I modified and successfully used to print on glass.
Instead of using tape and making what amounts to a flooded ice rink of
gelatin like they suggest, I created a gelatin mixture and coated the glass
using a mayer bar to draw down the gelatin. You will need to experiment
with the concentration of the gelatin as well as the mayer bar number
to ensure the gelatin is sticky enough to adhere to the glass but not so
sticky as to hold on to the transfer film and come off the glass
when you pull the transfer film off.

Assuming you have an aqueous inkjet printer with a straight paper path,
you could also get a piece of glass which is thin enough to directly pass
through your printer. In this case, you can use Inkaid with adhesive to
coat the glass. After it is fully dried, you can then print directly on the
glass just like it was a coated inkjet paper. Many inkjet printers with a
straight paper path allow materials up to 1.5mm/.059in thick to be
printed- you need to check your printer's specifications for media thickness
for cut sheet media and ensure your printer has a straight paper path.
Title: Re: Printing on glass plate
Post by: disneytoy on July 02, 2016, 04:02:14 am
This is easily printed on a flatbed UV printer. I've even seen it printed on 1.5" thick glass.

Or you can print o. Transparency film and face mount to the glass.

I would not run a sheet of glass through a printer. Could be very dangerous.